need help with issues with a wireless n (b/g compatible) network

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi

i am trying to set up a wireless-n (b/g compatible) wireless network, because even though all my Macs/Apple TV are wireless-n enabled, i want to be able to access the local network on my iPhone, so need to use the b/g compatible mode. the wireless network has been set up on an airport express connected via ethernet to a netgear router. i have another airport express and a time capsule around the house to extend the network (as wireless signals seem to reach much less distance in my current home than i usually experience).

the problems i am experiencing are intermittent slow wireless speeds, which i am presuming is to do with interference from other devices. so i am getting a lot of 'rebuffering stream' messages when connecting to shared iTunes libraries (ports TCP 3689 and UDO 5353 are open), and apple TV keeps dropping/freezing when watching films.

i tried copying a 200MB file from one Mac to another connected to the b/g compatible network and on my first attempt it seemed like the transfer was going to take over an hour, so very very slow. then i tried the same file on a wireless-n only (5GHz) network and it took less than a minute. I then tried out a wireless-n only (2.4GHz) network, but both the second airport express and the time capsule couldn't connect to the network to extend it, and kept flashing orange. Finally I tried a b/g compatible network again and this time it looked like the transfer would take a few minutes (so much quicker than before), but like I've said the problem is intermittent.

so i am wondering what i can do to get the b/g compatible mode working better. i have tried using different channels and still i experience the same problems. i used this equipement in another house in b/g compatible mode without any difficulties

i would be grateful for some help in troubleshooting this issue. i have reset all airport devices and the router to factory settings and still i have the same issue.

thanks

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I am guessing you do not have a dual-band router. So....

1. Grab an old 802.11g router/base station and put it in bridge mode.

2. Then run an ethernet cable out of the back of the 802.11n router and into the 802.11g base.

3. Set your 802.11N network to run at 5GHz (for the best possible performance)

4. If you can, monitor signal strength to see if you are getting a good signal to your main machines.

et. voila!

And you'll have the best possible wireless performance with complete backward compatibility for older devices.

You can expect 6-9MByte/s over 802.11n

And 1-2.5MByte/s over 801.11g

If you want to stream media, or if you have one machine that is the hub of all file transfers, ethernet it to your base station if at all possible.

It will double the throughput. (By halving the number of wifi hops)

C.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    thanks. so, if i connect an old wireless g router to the main base station then it will still be linked to the local network, i.e. i will be able to use my iPhone (connected to the g network) as a remote to control my Mac Pro (connected to the n network). right?

the netgear router that i have is wireless-g, but i need to use it in combination with my Time Capsule as the TC requires a modem/router to work with my ADSL broadband. I could then buy a simple modem to use with the TC and use the netgear router for wireless signal to the iphone, but because the g signal is weak i would probably need some way of extending the signal, which I can't do with the airport express as it won't extend wireless networks created on the netgear router. are there alternative products to extend netgear networks or boost the signal from the netgear router?

Also, I have been advised to use the TC with a router that handles PPPoA as the TC only handles PPPoE which isn't too good for my internet service with Talk Talk. So that would mean buying another wireless-g router rather than a modem.

Have I got all of this right?

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

thanks. so, if i connect an old wireless g router to the main base station then it will still be linked to the local network, i.e. i will be able to use my iPhone (connected to the g network) as a remote to control my Mac Pro (connected to the n network). right?

Yep, it all works as one big network -

But its a good idea to use two wireless SSIDs.

Nick_n

Nick_g

Quote:

the netgear router that i have is wireless-g, but i need to use it in combination with my Time Capsule as the TC requires a modem/router to work with my ADSL broadband. I could then buy a simple modem to use with the TC and use the netgear router for wireless signal to the iphone, but because the g signal is weak i would probably need some way of extending the signal, which I can't do with the airport express as it won't extend wireless networks created on the netgear router. are there alternative products to extend netgear networks or boost the signal from the netgear router?

You could just turn on the wireless of the Netgear Router.

If you did it that way....

You would make the NetGear the boss of the network.

Turn on DHCP and Internet Sharing on the Netgear.

And in the Time Capsule - pop it into bridge mode.

You'd end up with a dual band network, but this time the TC would be in the passenger seat.

As you say, you can't extend the 802.11g network.

Warning: extending dramatically slows down your network. WDS is even worse.

Quote:

Also, I have been advised to use the TC with a router that handles PPPoA as the TC only handles PPPoE which isn't too good for my internet service with Talk Talk. So that would mean buying another wireless-g router rather than a modem.

Have I got all of this right?

thanks

Frankly Apple are nuts to be selling a Wireless product without a modem in the UK.

I can find only one expensive modem which converts PPPoA to PPPoE. (Draytek Vigor)

So I'll leave this one to you. :-)

C.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thanks carniphage

i just thought of using the wireless on the netgear router and indeed can access the internet on my iPhone and use it as a remote to control my Mac Pro on the wireless-n network.

the trouble I am having is that the wireless signal from the netgear router is weak. even in the next room I am getting only one bar in the Airport icon and then it drops out. I have tried changing channels on the netgear router, but this doesn't seem to make much difference. I can only think this is due to interference with other equipment in the house (I have checked other wireless networks in the area and chosen a channel as far away from these as possible). So if I can't extend the wireless-g network, and I can't change the location of the netgear router, can I get something to attach to the netgear router to boost the signal, as that would seem like my only option?

thanks

nick
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

thanks carniphage

i just thought of using the wireless on the netgear router and indeed can access the internet on my iPhone and use it as a remote to control my Mac Pro on the wireless-n network.

the trouble I am having is that the wireless signal from the netgear router is weak. even in the next room I am getting only one bar in the Airport icon and then it drops out. I have tried changing channels on the netgear router, but this doesn't seem to make much difference. I can only think this is due to interference with other equipment in the house (I have checked other wireless networks in the area and chosen a channel as far away from these as possible). So if I can't extend the wireless-g network, and I can't change the location of the netgear router, can I get something to attach to the netgear router to boost the signal, as that would seem like my only option?

thanks

nick

Try channels 1,6 and 11. 6 is always a good bet for a clear channel.

Try to keep big metal objects (like radiators) out of the line of sight.

If you have a cordless phone, it might be on 2.4 GHz - but I doubt it. You could turn it off and see if it makes a difference.

If you need new hardware. The Linksys WRT54G seems to be quite powerful.

C.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ok, so i have separated the wireless-n from the wireless-g by buying a draytek vigor 120 modem to use with my Time Capsule, for a purely wireless-n network for the Macs which is working well, and by attaching my netgear wireless-g router to the TC i have a linked wireless-g network for the iPhone. Trouble is, even with repositioning the netgear router i am still getting very poor range in some parts of the house (presumably due to interference with phones or kitchen equipment, which are non-moveable). so it looks like I need to try out other wireless-g routers which have a better signal/range. is the WRT54G the one to go for, or are there wireless-g routers with a better range than this? The alternative would be add some kind of a booster to the netgear router i already have
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Hi Nick,

My wifi stuff is all in my basement. So the signal has to go through 2 floors to reach the extremes of the house.

I have tried out 3 alternatives.

The Linksys WRT54G is great - good strong signal, no compatibility problems - and there is "alternative" firmware with various options to boost the signal and improve gaming performance.

The old-model Airport Express. (the 802.11g model)

This works fine - but puts out a weaker signal. I guess you could extend it, but that degrades performance.

And I also have an old Belkin Wireless modem router - put into bridge mode.

It has good signal strength, but seems to mess with the XBox360.

And it crashes about once a week.

Haven't tried the new Airport Extreme - which does dual-band all by itself.

C.