iPod classic - to buy or not to buy

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know the macrumors site is suggesting holding off until the new updates but what sort of updates could they possibly have for the iPod classic?



Anyone have any ideas because i'm considering getting one.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    I think you should buy the iPod classic while you can because I can't see it lasting much longer.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott Reid View Post


    I think you should buy the iPod classic while you can because I can't see it lasting much longer.



    +1. I guess this is the last version of the iPod Classic line, so get it if you want.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I'm just glad I bought mine when I did. I definitely feel better with more than 120GB. I'd love to see an updated 160GB device.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    I'm just glad I bought mine when I did. I definitely feel better with more than 120GB. I'd love to see an updated 160GB device.



    Good for you!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,200moderator
    The ipod touch is a much better device IMO. Even if your primary usage is music and the concern is storage, you will find much more value in the touch. It's slimmer, lighter, has a web browser and you can buy songs directly on the ipod and it has apps/games. I can understand people going for a Nano but a classic is pointless.



    The main advantage is that you get 120GB space for the same price as an 8GB Touch but you're going to navigate through 30,000 songs with a click wheel? Even album or artists navigation is cumbersome.



    Use the computer to manage the music collection and playlists and keep it backed up. Then as your current favorites change, spend 10-15 minutes syncing up new music to the ipod.



    Buy a refurb 16GB version and you will be able to store 3,500 songs. It is only possibly for someone to listen to 200 songs in a day. Keeping 17 times that amount with you at any given time should be enough of a selection.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    The ipod touch is a much better device IMO. Even if your primary usage is music and the concern is storage, you will find much more value in the touch. It's slimmer, lighter, has a web browser and you can buy songs directly on the ipod and it has apps/games. I can understand people going for a Nano but a classic is pointless.



    The main advantage is that you get 120GB space for the same price as an 8GB Touch but you're going to navigate through 30,000 songs with a click wheel? Even album or artists navigation is cumbersome.



    Use the computer to manage the music collection and playlists and keep it backed up. Then as your current favorites change, spend 10-15 minutes syncing up new music to the ipod.



    Buy a refurb 16GB version and you will be able to store 3,500 songs. It is only possibly for someone to listen to 200 songs in a day. Keeping 17 times that amount with you at any given time should be enough of a selection.



    +1. iPod Classic is good for long flights or cross country drives IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    We'll have to agree to disagree.



    I like the fact that I have all of my songs all the time, and that "15 minutes" is precious to me.



    I don't want to sync the songs I'm in the mood for one time and then later in the day, when my mood changes, or when I meet a girl named Gloria and suddenly feel like playing Van Morrison, I don't want to say "oh crap, I didn't sync that one". I also like to put my 130GB of music on shuffle and discover long lost gems I haven't heard for years.



    The iPod Touch is a nice device. But it' a different device serving a different type of music fan. I see myself having one in addition to my Classic, but definitely not instead of. If I had to choose just one, the Classic wins it for me.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    The ipod touch is a much better device IMO. Even if your primary usage is music and the concern is storage, you will find much more value in the touch. It's slimmer, lighter, has a web browser and you can buy songs directly on the ipod and it has apps/games. I can understand people going for a Nano but a classic is pointless.



    The main advantage is that you get 120GB space for the same price as an 8GB Touch but you're going to navigate through 30,000 songs with a click wheel? Even album or artists navigation is cumbersome.



    Use the computer to manage the music collection and playlists and keep it backed up. Then as your current favorites change, spend 10-15 minutes syncing up new music to the ipod.



    Buy a refurb 16GB version and you will be able to store 3,500 songs. It is only possibly for someone to listen to 200 songs in a day. Keeping 17 times that amount with you at any given time should be enough of a selection.



  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    We'll have to agree to disagree.



    I like the fact that I have all of my songs all the time, and that "15 minutes" is precious to me.



    I don't want to sync the songs I'm in the mood for one time and then later in the day, when my mood changes, or when I meet a girl named Gloria and suddenly feel like playing Van Morrison, I don't want to say "oh crap, I didn't sync that one". I also like to put my 130GB of music on shuffle and discover long lost gems I haven't heard for years.



    The iPod Touch is a nice device. But it' a different device serving a different type of music fan. I see myself having one in addition to my Classic, but definitely not instead of. If I had to choose just one, the Classic wins it for me.



    I wonder if Apple will come up with a 180GB iPod Touch!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    I think for those of us who have large collections of music we love a high capacity device that is capable of storing most, if not all of our music collection. I find it very difficult selecting which music to put on my iPhone. I can only fit about 20% of my music collection on the 32gb model. And there's always a piece of music I want to play on a long haul flight that I left off.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tubetube Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    The iPod Touch is a nice device. But it' a different device serving a different type of music fan ... If I had to choose just one, the Classic wins it for me.



    Agreed. I want my library intact, in a fully-functional, easily updatable, stand-alone device. No desire for any other nonsense on my primary music player. I opted to get a new one while I can and regardless what's announced next week, there will be no regrets.



    There may be new devices in my future but the Classic is, well ... classic
Sign In or Register to comment.