Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A Chinese newspaper has reported that Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. will assemble tablet computers for Apple that may appear for sale as early as September.

The report, published by the Taipei, Taiwan Apple Daily paper and carried by Dow Jones, cited unnamed sources in reporting that Wintek Corp. would supply flat panel screens for the device and that its battery would be built by Dynapack International Technology Corp.

According to AppleInsider's own sources, Apple's expected new tablet device, with a 10" display and integrated 3G service, is not anticipated to arrive before early 2010.

That suggests that the report related to Hon Hai may instead reflect the upcoming third generation iPod touch, which could easily be described as a "tablet computer" and is expected to arrive in the September iPod refresh as both previous new generations.

However, the paper specifically cites the device in its report as having a 10" screen and 3G data service and describes it as being an enlarged iPod, not just a revamped version of the existing iPod touch. The report indicates the model will hit the market in September or October in order to hit the Christmas holiday season, but notes that reports in the 'foreign media' are not expecting it to arrive until the first quarter of next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 202
    Oh the rumors. OH the excitment!
  • Reply 2 of 202
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Oh the rumors. OH the excitment!

Apple schedules a conference hall for September 25, 2009.

*The meeting starts*

"Announcing your insanely great CEO, Steve Jobs!"

Steve Jobs walks on stage.

"Hello."

*crowd cheers*

"Snow Leopard is the next great thing. And it goes on sale, today."

WOOOOOOOOO

"One more thing."

*cheers*

"We have been looking at the iPhone, and we've been looking at the MacBook, and we've been wondering, 'People are taking these two portable devices with them everywhere. Is there some way we can put them together?' So we thought about it, and this is what we came up with. It's called the Apple MacBook Wave."

*cheers*

"It comes pre-loaded with Snow Leopard, and built-in GPS and 4G cellular capabilities. And it's going on sale today, for just $799. The most inexpensive MacBook ever."

BOOM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO
  • Reply 3 of 202
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Type iTablet into the Google box and there are already almost 600,000 pages.

This is for a product that hasn't been announced yet.

What's the estimate for the number of pages a week from now? A month from now?

How about the day it's announced? Released? A week later?
  • Reply 4 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Apple schedules a conference hall for September 25, 2009.

*The meeting starts*

"Announcing your insanely great CEO, Steve Jobs!"

Steve Jobs walks on stage.

"Hello."

*crowd cheers*

"Snow Leopard is the next great thing. And it goes on sale, today."

WOOOOOOOOO

"One more thing."

*cheers*

"We have been looking at the iPhone, and we've been looking at the MacBook, and we've been wondering, 'People are taking these two portable devices with them everywhere. Is there some way we can put them together?' So we thought about it, and this is what we came up with. It's called the Apple MacBook Wave."

*cheers*

"It comes pre-loaded with Snow Leopard, and built-in GPS and 4G cellular capabilities. And it's going on sale today, for just $799. The most inexpensive MacBook ever."

BOOM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO

That sounds almost textbook, great job haha
  • Reply 5 of 202
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    That level and anticipation and speculation is almost too much.

Almost.
  • Reply 6 of 202
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't believe it. If this imaginary device is to run App Store apps, none of them will work because they're all written for the wrong display size. If it is to run regular old OSX, then maybe.
  • Reply 7 of 202
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Here it is:

iNetbook rerendered

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoboer/3226244527

First picture of:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games
  • Reply 8 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't believe it. If this imaginary device is to run App Store apps, none of them will work because they're all written for the wrong display size. If it is to run regular old OSX, then maybe.

It?ll be a larger display on both the x and y planes so giving the same relative pixels or size is possible. There is nothing wrong with windowing an app designed for the iPod Touch of iPhone, like with the iPhone Simulator in the SDK, within OS X. There are many iPhone apps I?d love to use on my Mac that way.
  • Reply 9 of 202
    I have a beautiful idea for an interface for Apple Tablet. It's been done by Apple, and suits this type of device. Imagine a full screen frontrow interface, where you can flip through giant icons and select the application you would like you use. It launches the applications full screen as if you were on a mac. No dock, No dropdown menus, no desktop, no multitasking (although I would like multitasking with this OS, apple wouldn't allow it). Portrait, lanscape however you like it. They would have a word processing document, safari, itunes as manifested in frontrow, a preferences application which allowed you to change what was on the main menu, a word document application (not sure how they would solve the keyboard issue), a fullscreen camera application. It's essentially the normal iPod interface (classic, nano) turned sidways with giant icons. Depending on what you tap, you're brought to another menu with this same interface. A full screen coverflow if you will. Imagine flipping threw your albums, pictures, documents with your hand rather than your finger. Remember when Steve was so exciting with coverflow? Both the iPhone and in iTunes. Soon after they released a similar interface in safari (history 4.0), finder, everything! The entire basis of this OS is full screen flipping. It's much like the iPhone interface, but fits the screen size perfectly. "It's all display."

I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this, but it seems very fitting for a tablet. If you don't know what frontrow is and you're using a mac, press: apple, esc. And let your mac show you for itself.
  • Reply 10 of 202
    I read in the rumor mills that the iTablet will have 3G. Just curious, i know the iPhone is shackeled to AT&T due to the exclusive contract they have, but would the iTablet be obligated to AT&by that same contract, or could they be free to take it to Verizon?
  • Reply 11 of 202
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    My guess is that this time the rumor is true.
  • Reply 12 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mainpoliboy View Post

I read in the rumor mills that the iTablet will have 3G. Just curious, i know the iPhone is shackeled to AT&T due to the exclusive contract they have, but would the iTablet be obligated to AT&by that same contract, or could they be free to take it to Verizon?

I believe the contract states that they are tied by voice communications. That's why most articles explicitly state that it's 3G data.
  • Reply 13 of 202
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Why does everything about an Apple product always has some kind of mystery. All these newspapers, magazines, analysts, rumor mills, and dick and harry, everyone claim to hear from unnamed sources.

It always, almost sound like the Jehovah Witnesses, screaming that Jesus is coming.
  • Reply 14 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstermac77 View Post

I have a beautiful idea ... Imagine a full screen frontrow interface, ...

That would truly be a GUI with underwhelming capabilities.

While the front row interface is nice for simple searching with the same underlying logic as column view in the finder, it would really be lacking versaitiliy in a more fully fledged computer environment.
  • Reply 15 of 202
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    if it comes out october, i suspect it will be jailbroken by new years.

appstore integration = crippled OS. (in a good way since apple controls apps and prevents malware) but if you're not retarted jailbreaking greatly improves the experience, unfortunately most are so apple is smart to limit multitask and app installations.
  • Reply 16 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Why does everything about an Apple product always has some kind of mystery. All these newspapers, magazines, analysts, rumor mills, and dick and harry, everyone claim to hear from unnamed sources.

It always, almost sound like the Jehovah Witnesses, screaming that Jesus is coming.

Not really because Apple usually delivers the product.

The Jehovah Witnesses never have and never will because they have nothing to deliver
  • Reply 17 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There'll be an App Store specific for this device guys.
  • Reply 18 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That may be exactly what Apple wants. It's a different class of device with a higher native resolution so there's more screen real estate for UIs. Apple most likely would not want quick & dirty ports of iPhone apps. They would want developers to rethink their UIs and optimize them for a higher resolution screen.

Or they could probably upscale to the native resolution with some extra magic to make multi-touch continue working properly. Say the screen is exactly 2X the resolution of the iPhone and you'd get good results. Not optimal for the native resolution of the display but a good short term solution.
  • Reply 19 of 202
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
  • Reply 20 of 202
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I'd expect Apple to hold the tablet back for CES. Get some buzz when holiday sales wear off. Introduce it in September and every competitor has one at CES. Do it this way and Apple keeps the stage for their new CES presence.