Carrier wars: Verizon/ AT&T speed test

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T’s 3G network set the bar pretty high with a raw average of 933kbps on the downlink side — yeah, we were shocked also — but clocked an atrocious 180kbps raw uplink average. So, how did VZW stack up against AT&T?

Verizon came in well short of AT&T on the download side, averaging 232kbps slower than its GSM rival. In other words, according to the results posted by our readers across the country, AT&T’s network is a whopping 33 percent faster than Verizon’s on the downlink side. The median download speed was also significantly lower than AT&T’s; 440kbps compared to 840kbps.

Boy Genius Report

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

AT&T?s 3G network set the bar pretty high with a raw average of 933kbps on the downlink side ? yeah, we were shocked also ? but clocked an atrocious 180kbps raw uplink average. So, how did VZW stack up against AT&T?

Verizon came in well short of AT&T on the download side, averaging 232kbps slower than its GSM rival. In other words, according to the results posted by our readers across the country, AT&T?s network is a whopping 33 percent faster than Verizon?s on the downlink side. The median download speed was also significantly lower than AT&T?s; 440kbps compared to 840kbps.

Boy Genius Report

This is the only key point where ATnT wins, I feel. If it was not for the iPhone, I would not have switched to ATnT.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I do agree, over all, Verizon has the better network. But Verizon still holds too tight of a grip around control of features and nickel and dime for too many things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

This is the only key point where ATnT wins, I feel. If it was not for the iPhone, I would not have switched to ATnT.

• Reply 3 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I've said a few months ago that telecom is a lot like manure. Choosing between different companies, services or service types is only changing what animal it comes out of.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

[i]AT&T?s 3G network set the bar pretty high with a raw average of 933kbps on the downlink side ? yeah, we were shocked also ? but clocked an atrocious 180kbps raw uplink average. So, how did VZW stack up against AT&T?

I wouldn't call 180k upload atrocious. Landline 2Mbps connections often only get a 256k upload. Download and upload, those speeds are both excellent for a mobile device.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wouldn't call 180k upload atrocious. Landline 2Mbps connections often only get a 256k upload. Download and upload, those speeds are both excellent for a mobile device.

To me that is horribly slow.