Your network settings have been changed by another application

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 2007 MacBook Pro 17 inch (intel) running 10.4.11.

Whenever I open the network preferences pane I get the above message. If I click OK it could back again, And again, and again. The only way to stop it is to 'lock' the pane, which is a tricky juggling act, pressing OK and trying to click the lock.

As far as I can tell, there is no other (user) application running, so not sure what is going on.

I'm in the network pane because I have all sorts of problems - can't connect to a server, and 802.11n connection dropouts all the time. I can usually connect OK to the internet using AirPort or the Ethernet cable.

Does anyone have a way to 'reset' by network settings, or a diagnostic to see what's going on?

Many thanks,

Raj.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trajsingh View Post

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro 17 inch (intel) running 10.4.11.

Whenever I open the network preferences pane I get the above message. If I click OK it could back again, And again, and again. The only way to stop it is to 'lock' the pane, which is a tricky juggling act, pressing OK and trying to click the lock.

As far as I can tell, there is no other (user) application running, so not sure what is going on.

I'm in the network pane because I have all sorts of problems - can't connect to a server, and 802.11n connection dropouts all the time. I can usually connect OK to the internet using AirPort or the Ethernet cable.

Does anyone have a way to 'reset' by network settings, or a diagnostic to see what's going on?

Many thanks,

Raj.

www.apple.com/support

www.macrumors.com

Macrumors is better to source for such answers. They are clear and quite precise as certain users come across them too.

Hope I've helped.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Hi Guys,

There is a simple fix for this problem.

1. Force Quit System Preferences. (Click on the Apple and goto Force Quit.)

2. Goto System Preferences>Security.

3. Select the option that says "Reqire password to unlock each secure system preferences."

4. Close System Preferences.

5. Goto System Preferences>Network.

It will work perfectly fine.

Issue Resolved.

Hope this helps..!!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hi All,

I had this same problem recently and just found a way to fix it so I thought I'd post it here. I tried the lock settings trick but it didn't work for me (and I assume others have found the same problem) I found another fix that did work:

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

com.apple.nat.plist

All these files will regenerate as necessary when the associated system features are accessed. If you're using Airport or Internet Sharing you'll have to reestablish the appropriate settings, because these will have been lost when the preferences files are removed.

Thanks to Maddog who originally found the fix.