AOL and the Macintosh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have just received this email from a friend in London who is in the IT world:

[quote]Just been reading the latest IT news...AOL plans on dumping the Macintosh platform in the near future because (in their words) "there aren't enough people using them". This only applies to their support for OSX but this doesn't bode well for the future.

"We're a mass-market company and the mass-market computer of choice is the PC - so our priority has to be to develop new software for this audience"

I think what will happen is that they just won't produce any new software for the Mac - but will support their existing software for a couple of years before an eventual phase-out.<hr></blockquote>

What do those on this BB think, re. AOL?

My own thoughts? I cannot be other than disgusted at their business practises which epitomize the absolute worst of corporate America; this plan to dump the Macintosh is just a minor niggle in their continued regime of monopolistic, arrogant, abusive, dictatorial policies, not to mention arbitrary censorship under the guise of some self-righteous umbrella of phoney 'family values".

Dump AOL. Period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    I think the article quoted refers only to the localised UK version of the AOL software. Check out the story on <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk"; target="_blank">The Register</a>.

Does anyone here actually use AOL any more??

AOL Keyword: AOLISAPOS

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I pretty much only use AOL for my mai. The only reason why I still have it is because my dad uses the software. For IMs I just use AIM.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Who cares about AOL anyway? They are the most expensive dial up service, and imho they aren't even an internet service provider.

We are going to cancel a membership we have with soon. My wife has one and several months ago she got two screen names for the kids. Well, all of a sudden AOL is charging us 23.90 per screen name! Can you say buh-bye?

Maybe this is a reason no Mac users are using AOL. Because they suck.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yeah? Who cares about AOL?

Well, more than few million people.

However, when they say "No wonder its number one"

I can only laugh because it certainly is a wonder why it is number one.

Most of the services is still under 56k and the internet browsing interface they give sucks!

Besides I also hate them for wasting so much bloody plastic on their stupid free trial offers which most often conclude with a ####ing BILL!

They've been spewing out free trials for years and people jsut don't need any more coasters!!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by ctt1wbw:

<strong>Who cares about AOL anyway? They are the most expensive dial up service, and imho they aren't even an internet service provider.

We are going to cancel a membership we have with soon. My wife has one and several months ago she got two screen names for the kids. Well, all of a sudden AOL is charging us 23.90 per screen name! Can you say buh-bye?

Maybe this is a reason no Mac users are using AOL. Because they suck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

$23.90 per screen name? Are you sure it's not for the whole account, because that's what they raised their price to. Well at least we only pay $9.95 since we've got a Cable modem here.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Yeah, I'm sure. I do online banking every single day. I notice what goes in there. Yesterday AOL billed me two additional fees of 23.90, on top of the one that is billed on the first of the month. My wife called and the idiot operator says there's nothing that he will do. So we told the bank to not pay those out and we will cancel AOHell shortly.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    [quote]Maybe this is a reason no Mac users are using AOL. Because they suck.<hr></blockquote>

Oh yes,do they suck. And a big fat hairy one at that. But sucking as an internet service is one of their better qualities, (being aware of their much less public modus operandi and mission...which is another issue altogether).

The latest piece of AOL junkmail to infest my household came with the pronouncement emblazoned in big red letters: "NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED".

Reading the smallprint revealed the statement: "a major credit card and checking account is required".

Oh well, what more can you expect from AOL? But I guess that misleading advertising is one of the more endearing qualities of this sleazeball company.

AOL is about as welcome in my mailbox as an anthrax laced letter or a care package from Ted Kaszinsky.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Another thing I hate about AOL is that it's so simple for people who don't know much about computers. Whenever I tell my friends about how much AOL actually sucks they make it seem so great (just like they do with Windows when I tell them that the Mac OS is so much better). I'm just so sick of AOL.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    It may have started as Mac-only service but nowadays AOL is a dumbed-down- everything-laid-on-no-need-to-experience-the-local-culture-or-eat-the-food package tour of the Internet for people who know no better. And yes, they suck. If they drop the Mac, who cares? We don't need them.

But the girl who does their TV ads in the UK is still a looker (and the daughter of our local MP to boot)...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Love it or hate it, losing AOL for Macs would be a major blow to us.

Newbie thought process:

"I want to get the internet I have seen on TV and been getting in the mail every week for five years. Oh, it doesn't work on the Apple? I'll just buy the Dell."

---------

AOL is the Internet service for new computer users. If it doesn't work with Macs, that will not be good for attacting new computer users to Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by The Blue Meanie:

<strong>It may have started as Mac-only service but nowadays AOL is a dumbed-down- everything-laid-on-no-need-to-experience-the-local-culture-or-eat-the-food package tour of the Internet for people who know no better. And yes, they suck. If they drop the Mac, who cares? We don't need them.

But the girl who does their TV ads in the UK is still a looker (and the daughter of our local MP to boot)...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ufortunately no matter how much they suck we still need them. For people who are newbies or don't know much about the internet it's one of their only choices for an easy ISP (if you could even call it an ISP). Apple will almost definately lose at least some sales if AOL doesn't support Macs.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I am currently using <a href="http://www.appleisp.net."; target="_blank">www.appleisp.net.</a> This ISP is great, and it costs only $12.95 per month. Beat that AOL.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I do not like AOL, but it is better than MSN which I fear would take over if AOL were to die out.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    AOL will never die out, unfortunately. And it's due to the same reason that Windows is so popular: the apathy of the people. They think it's the only thing out there because it's the only thing they hear about.

The only reason, and I mean this, that AOL is number one, is because they gave their software away everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Cereal boxes, National Geographic Magazine, beauty parlors, dry cleaning stores, et al. Their crap is everywhere and the normal Joe Schmoe doesn't realize that there is something better out there, most of the time for cheaper.

Read my post above. I did my homework when it came to getting another ISP.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    This is unbelievably ironic, and I don't think that AOL can stop supporting the Mac.

First of all, Apple got these guys going (literally). They helped fund the initial group in exchange for eWorld. AOL and Apple made the joint decision to kill eWorld, because although it wasn't losing money for Apple, it was a major drain on AOL. In exchange for Apple switching everyone over to AOL, AOL could kill eWorld, but had to pledge support for the Mac version for a certain number of years (and it was a LONG time). They also had to pledge to support the Apple ][GS for at least 2 years (and it ended right on time, too).

I still think AOL HAS to support to Mac, regardless of what they WANT to do. But technically, they could stop the Mac version now, keep supporting it, but keep making the PC version bigger and 'better'.

That's what I remember hearing a LONG time ago (5 years+). Anyone else have more info?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I'd go back to eWorld in a heartbeat. That was the best I've ever used.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    You're right Fran. That's why they're only killing AOL for OS X and it's only in the UK so far.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by AppleMaster:

<strong>Love it or hate it, losing AOL for Macs would be a major blow to us.

Newbie thought process:

"I want to get the internet I have seen on TV and been getting in the mail every week for five years. Oh, it doesn't work on the Apple? I'll just buy the Dell."

---------

AOL is the Internet service for new computer users. If it doesn't work with Macs, that will not be good for attacting new computer users to Macs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I kinda disagree. AOL is for newbies but Apple has been promoting Earthlink for a while and I didn't see an AOL icon on my new iMac's desktop or have a "Welcome to AOL!" splash screen pop up either (which both I've seen in the past on Wintel machines).

Fine, let AOL drop the Mac. Apple should promote Earthlink more (even though they aren't that great) and anyways AOL has always (to me) been for Wintel newbies and most purchasers of Macs are smarter than Wintel users anyways

Apple should also promote their OSX Internet features more to new buyers. Like their Mail App, (not great but for newbies...a good start) pre-installed IE Explorer and inform their new customers of alternate browsers and apps...don't forget their iTools either.

Me personally have never, ever used AOL. Heard too many horror stories of their buggy proprietary software and Mafia billing practices. Don't even ask me about designing web pages for AOL "friendliness"...

Even when I started surfing the Web I used Compuserve first. Not great but after I learned how easier it was later to just get an ISP and have the freedom of choice for software to surf and email on the Web...never AOL or my Mac will meet.

If you hear of one considering using AOL...tell them they do have many other choices than them. I do. You'll be doing a newbie a big favor.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    AOL = POS

End of story.

I couldn't care less if they dropped support for the Mac. All those people left high and dry would be much better off using Earthlink or some other dial-up company. AOL can't even be called mediocre at this point in the game, so virtually any move to an established ISP would be an improvement.