RAID 0 in a Mac Pro Nehalem

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought a Mac Pro Quad 2,66. It came with a 640 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue Disk. I consider to buy another 640 GB WD Caviar Blue and put both in a RAID0. Is it best to install the system on this RAID for maximum speed or is it better to install macosX on a 3rd disk that isn't part of the raid, e.g. a Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post

I bought a Mac Pro Quad 2,66. It came with a 640 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue Disk. I consider to buy another 640 GB WD Caviar Blue and put both in a RAID0. Is it best to install the system on this RAID for maximum speed or is it better to install macosX on a 3rd disk that isn't part of the raid, e.g. a Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB

OS X will boot from and run on a RAID 0 stripe, and it does improve the speed noticeably. The only down side is that I had trouble installing firmware updates, I had to update from a single drive OS install.

I would make doubly sure that you have an automated backup system going. I'm not running a RAID 0, but even then, I have SuperDuper updating a second bootable drive daily.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OS X will boot from and run on a RAID 0 stripe, and it does improve the speed noticeably. The only down side is that I had trouble installing firmware updates, I had to update from a single drive OS install.

I would make doubly sure that you have an automated backup system going. I'm not running a RAID 0, but even then, I have SuperDuper updating a second bootable drive daily.

Thanks!

I have a 3rd drive not in the RAID, therefore backup or firmware updates shouldn't be a problem.