The ultraMac--Is there a market?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In the <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001034&p=2"; target="_blank">"G5 Next Week" thread</a> there is an interesting side-topic popping up:

ultraMac

That is, a 4,500 - 7000 "PowerMac +" line to go *on top of* the "Pro" line.

I myself have often longed for

rack mountable server hardware from Apple. And there are people who also want 5,6,7 (more?) slots.

What else would this *ultraMac* do, and why?

5 gig ram?

12 disk RAID?

Oh...lets avoid any mention of "Render Farm" here. I think we all understand that Pixar is owned by Steve Jobs.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: BerberCarpet ]

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: BerberCarpet ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>In the <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001034&p=2"; target="_blank">"G5 Next Week" thread</a> there is an interesting side-topic popping up:

UberMac

That is, a 4,500 - 7000 "PowerMac +" line to go *on top of* the "Pro" line.

I myself have often longed for

rack mountable server hardware from Apple. And there are people who also want 5,6,7 (more?) slots.

What else would the UberMac do, and why?

5 gig ram?

12 disk RAID?

Oh...lets avoid any mention of "Render Farm" here. I think we all understand that Pixar is owned by Steve Jobs.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: BerberCarpet ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Blazing fast multi CPUs

high speed frontside and memory busses

massive RAM capacity (2 Gig +)

Dual AGP slots

6 PCI slots

4 or more USB ports on dual controllers

4 Firewire Ports

(Not only will there be lots of stuff inside but lots of stuff connected to a high end workstation)

Multiple accessible drive bays.

standard RAID
  • Reply 2 of 29
    I'd like to see two lines of "UberMac"

That is, Servers and Workstations.

My workstation needs are small: I spend most of my time in BBEdit and a handfull of browsers, with some time in the terminal, network ute, Fireworks and such. I don't need a quad G5 to live.

My server needs are going to be huge in the near future. I'd pay Apple good money ($250,000) that will probably have to go to Dell, just because I don't have the option.

For UberServer Line, I'd want:

Dream Apache machine:

6 gig ram + ?

3 disk (72 gb) striped RAID, pre-configured, hot swappable.

Complete GUI control over Apache.

PHP, MySQL pre-configured, ready to run.

Blazingly fast DVD burner for quick and dirty backups, as well as Apple-branded automated backup service over IP

UberSAN

That'd be Apple-branded STORAGE.

Fiber channel, 12-disk RAIDs.

2 - 4 U size

Backup over IP

In the UberWorkstation, I'd like to see:

5 gig ram

4 Harddrives internal--ultra scsi 160+

2 optical drives-- both superfast burners

2 monitors out of the box, BTO up to 6

QUIET-- I'd pay another $1,000 for silent running

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: BerberCarpet ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    First of all, clustering. That could be useful for any number of different businesses. Clustering with mac ease of use could be revolutionary.

NetBoot. Mac terminals in school labs, office desks, starbucks, who knows where. A rack mounted server would be perfect because the terminals wouldn't have to change for many years, and upgrades would be centralized. The model hasn't really worked yet but it could because it simplifies the situation so much.

10 slots? I'm not really in favor of that. Rackmounted, clusterable hardware I like.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    It could also function as the industrial grade server that has been rumored. Different configurations for the power graphics user and the server market.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Of course there is room for Apple to further enter the Workstation and Server market.

OS X in theory make macs much better candidates than they ever used to be. Where I used to work always switched from Unix OS based workstations for the crunching to Windows based PCs for the rest. It raises costs and makes life a hassle.

Just a matter of when Apple will do this.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Telomar:

<strong>Of course there is room... ...OS X in theory make macs much better... ...Just a matter of when Apple will do this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to agree.

It just seems to make sense that there are a lot of IT people/Webmasters out there who *love* their Macs and would love to throw the really big dollars at Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    An UberMac will never exist like that, as the word Uber doesn't exist.

Ask someone who really knows German, not just pretends to.

G-News
  • Reply 8 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>An UberMac will never exist like that, as the word Uber doesn't exist.

Ask someone who really knows German, not just pretends to.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

[...]
  • Reply 9 of 29
    What's weird about that?

Uber as a word simply doesn't exist, and if you think it does, then it doesn't mean anything.

Importing words from other languages is fine, as long as you stick to 2 rules:

Spell them correctly (ie über, not uber)

Use them in their correct sense (über can almost never be used to superlativate a word (edit: there are two exceptions that come to my mind: übernatürlich (supernatural) and übermenschlich (inhuman/ beyond human capabilities))

Thus, as both rules have been broken, it has become an un-word.

G-News

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: G-News ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 29
    The only thing is...

I'm at my mom and dads house, on their Dell, and i'm not about to go look up how to "correctly" type out an obscure letter.

I certainly wasn't trying to pretend to know German--I was borrowing the phrase from the thread that I pointed out in the starting post.

I apologize for offending the purists.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Ok, sorry to nihilate your argument again, but you can avoid the ü or Ü by simply writing Ue or ue.

Ueber is completely correct and can be written on ANY keyboard setting that has Latin characters.

G-News, the purist
  • Reply 12 of 29

<strong>Ueber is completely correct</strong><hr></blockquote>

We cool?

• Reply 13 of 29
    I think I could accept adjectives and adverbs using ueber, but subjects just don't work.

Why not just simple English:

Super Mac?

Or Superpower Mac? Isn't that extreme enough?

G-News
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Ahh.....

(we're all still in good fun, right?)
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I think that no matter how much you try and tell people not to use "uber" they will continue to, simply because it sounds and looks cooler than super(which is played out)

though I support your cause to change the mass mind, as I am always trying to nitpick things like that into the populous, I don't think the usage of uber will ever stop, as to many many many users its a perfectly promulent word
  • Reply 16 of 29
    [quote]

What's weird about that?

Uber as a word simply doesn't exist, and if you think it does, then it doesn't mean anything.

Importing words from other languages is fine, as long as you stick to 2 rules:

Spell them correctly (ie über, not uber)

Use them in their correct sense (über can almost never be used to superlativate a word (edit: there are two exceptions that come to my mind: übernatürlich (supernatural) and übermenschlich (inhuman/ beyond human capabilities))

Thus, as both rules have been broken, it has become an un-word.

<hr></blockquote>

Listen, it's time to untangle your panties, unplug that cork in your ass, and live free. Nobody here CARES about the subtleties of German grammar. We are here to talk about Macs. Since everyone knew what was meant by "ubermac", and since most people don't know offhand how to type an umlaut, no harm is done.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 29
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>I think I could accept adjectives and adverbs using ueber, but subjects just don't work.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay, drop it.

It's not funny, or clever, and certainly not relevant to the subject of the thread.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Wonderful... we back on track?

I am still genuenly curious about how much money people would pay for a workstation and/or server, what they'ed expect for that money and what they'd be doing with it.

I'll reiterate, to get the ball re-rolling:

Server

Striped 0 RAID *ultra* fast HDs

Gob-O-Ram

Incredible GUI for Apache, PHP, MySQL

Ready to serve, outta the box

2 hours battery, built in

*way* fast DVD burner, for backups

Apple-branded backup over IP service

Rack-mountable

Web-configurable, can run "headless"

$6,500
  • Reply 19 of 29

<strong>Ok, sorry to nihilate your argument again, but you can avoid the ü or Ü by simply writing Ue or ue.

Ueber is completely correct and can be written on ANY keyboard setting that has Latin characters.

G-News, the purist</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, yeah let's care about spelling in a useless barbaric dialect, please!!

TRÜNSKEN TUBEN BAHEN!!! Look I am speaking german!

Have you ever cared about learning a civilized language? Probably latin? french? spanish? italian? portuguese? rumanian?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

<strong>I think I could accept adjectives and adverbs using ueber, but subjects just don't work.

Why not just simple English:

Super Mac?

Or Superpower Mac? Isn't that extreme enough?

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

what an uberfag