List of issues I've been having with my MBP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
About four or five days ago, I tried searching for a place online to watch the movie (500) Days of Summer and I came across several websites that said I could watch it but was never able to so I finally gave up on it... Well ever since then, my MBP has been acting up. (I have the previous model of MBP, not the unibody)

Here's a list of issues I am having: (I have already made an appointment at the genius bar for Thursday but thought I'd post here, with hopes of maybe finding a solution)

Beach ball appearing way more than usual:

- Spotlight - takes longer than normal to begin search and the beach ball eventually appears on my screen. When this happens, it won't let me open any other apps from the dock

- System Preferences - tried opening screen saver/wallpaper and beach ball appeared. Error screen eventually popped up and performed a force quit but the light indicator still shows system preferences as being opened.

- QuickTime (beach ball sometimes)

- iPhoto (beach ball sometimes)

Time Capsule

- Isn't backing up

- Icon on the menu bar is spinning counter clockwise. Never paid much attention to it before but I'm pretty sure it didn't spin counter clockwise, right?

- Can't eject disk from desktop

- Can't cancel backup -- it only shows Preparing Backup on the status and never gets passed that point

Not able to quit applications -- as I mentioned earlier under the system preferences error, the window will close but the indicator on the dock will remain lit and it won't let me reopen the application.

Performing a Force Quit doesn't work either and when this happens, the only way of closing completely out of it is by shutting down my computer. However, the regular way of shutting down my computer doesn't work; I have to hold down the power button until it shuts down.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themachines04 View Post

About four or five days ago, I tried searching for a place online to watch the movie (500) Days of Summer and I came across several websites that said I could watch it but was never able to so I finally gave up on it... Well ever since then, my MBP has been acting up. (I have the previous model of MBP, not the unibody)

Here's a list of issues I am having: (I have already made an appointment at the genius bar for Thursday but thought I'd post here, with hopes of maybe finding a solution)

Beach ball appearing way more than usual:

- Spotlight - takes longer than normal to begin search and the beach ball eventually appears on my screen. When this happens, it won't let me open any other apps from the dock

- System Preferences - tried opening screen saver/wallpaper and beach ball appeared. Error screen eventually popped up and performed a force quit but the light indicator still shows system preferences as being opened.

- QuickTime (beach ball sometimes)

- iPhoto (beach ball sometimes)

Time Capsule

- Isn't backing up

- Icon on the menu bar is spinning counter clockwise. Never paid much attention to it before but I'm pretty sure it didn't spin counter clockwise, right?

- Can't eject disk from desktop

- Can't cancel backup -- it only shows Preparing Backup on the status and never gets passed that point

Not able to quit applications -- as I mentioned earlier under the system preferences error, the window will close but the indicator on the dock will remain lit and it won't let me reopen the application.

Performing a Force Quit doesn't work either and when this happens, the only way of closing completely out of it is by shutting down my computer. However, the regular way of shutting down my computer doesn't work; I have to hold down the power button until it shuts down.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

www.apple.com/support

www.macrumors.com

Other than these reference sites, I suspect that your OS could be corrupt and needs to be replaced. Either that or your hardisk needs a checkup.