Q: Would you buy an Apple tablet if.....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Simple question really, Assuming the Apple tablet was everything you're heart desires would you buy it if you knew that software distribution would be handled the same way as it's done on the iPhone / iPod Touch devices?

To put it more bluntly...

Apple denying apps based on whatever policy they feel like enforcing at the time the app was submitted and/or making up a brand NEW policy to fit the specific situation. After all, they don't publish their policies or if they do they are so loosely written that they can be assured of finding a policy that would allow them to deny just about any application they don't like.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Would anyone happen to know a good site with information on customizing your iPhone? I think if you could (legally) customize a tablet completely even against Apple's wishes I think that would affect my decision here.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Just give us a device that is as light as possible (300 g or so would be awesome) and as small as possible (pocketable would be great) capable of Keynote and PowerPoint presentations via video-out port, and here is an order of thousands for our University.

Hint: the MacBook Air is too heavy and too large!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I hope that they don't put the iPhone OS on the apple tablet as that will just allow apple to control everything like they do on the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott Reid View Post

I hope that they don't put the iPhone OS on the apple tablet as that will just allow apple to control everything like they do on the iPhone.

See this is where I see a problem and why I posted the poll... I'm fairly certain if Apple is developing a tablet then chances are it will run the iPhone / iPod touch version of OS X and that doesn't upset me all that much except for how militant Apple has been WRT giving approval, suspending approval, taking away approval, rinse and repeat.

I have no problems with Apple not allowing adult content (at all), nor do I have a problem with Apple making adult oriented content labeled as such (NC-17) so parents can restrict access. Fine and more than acceptable.

However, when Apple goes out of their way to axe an app simply because Apple feels its a duplication of an existing app or the app would cause user confusion or insert any of the other lame excuses Apple has been spewing as of late... Sorry but thats where I draw the line...

I'm putting up with it because my iPhone rides on AT&Ts network and like it or not I'm sure they have a say in the matter (even if they lied to the FCC and said they don't) but why is Apple punishing my iPod Touch?!?! It doesn't connect to AT&T and as such they have no business telling me what I can or can't put on my iPod.... Yet for some reason they seem to be doing just that.

We really need to nip this in the bud... Apple should not be restricting Applications that are installed on iPod Touches and / or Apple Tablets... Apple and AT&T need to turn down the dictator dial before it bites em in the ass.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    See, I really like App Store. It allows for simple and quick software installations followed up by easy updates. It is the closest thing I know of in the commercial world that works as well as package management on Linux machines. It is very nice and convient. I'm not to concerned yet about Apples messing with app store approvals as it as yet to impact my narrow app usage. Honestly though I do think competition would be good for things like Mail.

The above doesn't bother me to much, what does is the other software restrictions. Especially multi tasking. Honestly though I suspect the have a solution for that coming for the tablets. If not that could hang me up with respect to a purchase. Other things that bother me is the lack of a shell/scripting environment. I'm hoping they skip BASH and stadardize around Python. Such a device needs to be able to run simple scripts and Python is the right choice here. Along with that would be a cron like scheduler. Why you may ask, simple I say, so that we can write scripts to run before getting up every morning to grab the news and whatever else is cool. This is especially useful to buffer for slow cell data connections. User log ins and and a public file system are in order too. The general theme here is more user control than is seen on iPod but not loosing the benefits of app store. They don't have to be exclusive features. So yeah app store is huge but let's do something about multitasking, scripting, cron and other features that make modern OSes so impressive.

In a nut shell your question isn't a clear Yes or No. App store is great but that in it's self should prevent us from doing even more with the tablet.

Dave