Toshiba shipping SSD based on 43nm tech.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Very interesting because the news indicates 1.8 inch devices with 256GB of storage and laptop drives with 512GB of storage. They are saying to whom the drives are shipping but who wants to take a guess at Apple.

The 1.8 inch drives have a few potential applications. AIR is one example that is obvious but a tablet and a high capacity iPod Classic replacement are possibilities. A bigger Touch/Classic replacement/Newton is a real possibility.

The laptop drive, at 512GB, is biting on the heels of magnetic drives. Laptops are obvious for these but I'd love to see the drives on the upgrade market. Interestingly there is no performance dfference with respect to the 1.8" drives. Looks like next year Flash based SSD drives are going to be big.

Back to the 1.8" drive imagine if Apple put one into their WiFi hub / wall wart and add simple file serving to the unit. Seems like a good idea to me. Or make a iTunes server in the same platform. Putting high capacity into a small space is going to blow open the smart pheripherial market.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Yeah, SSDs are finally at parity with regular notebook drives in terms of space, but you really have to pay out for the speed and durability.

For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609415

I would be surprised if Toshiba puts a retail sticker price lower than $1000 on this any time soon.

I don't regret buying that 500GB 7200RPM drive. I don't know what my price point would be for jumping, but I expect that maybe I would have a different computer by the time I'm interested in buying a large SSD.

Someone might chime in saying there is a WD 750GB 2.5" drive shipping right now, but it's a 12mm thick drives, most notebooks don't support that thickness. It will not work inside any Mac notebook.