Which Refurbished Macbook Air?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing a Macbook Air and was curious if anyone had opinion on which refurbish unit I should be looking at? Specifically, I want to keep my budget around $1,100.

Apple has two different refurbished units 1) 1.6Ghz w/ 120GB HD or 2) 1.8Ghz w/ 80GB HD.

Should I sacrifice 40GB of HD for 0.2Ghz? Is there that noticeable of a difference? I also noticed that the 1.8Ghz seem to be running Intel graphics rather than the Nvida. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

PS. I know at that pricing I can get a 13" Macbook Pro, but I'm looking at the Macbook Air for it's portability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing a Macbook Air and was curious if anyone had opinion on which refurbish unit I should be looking at? Specifically, I want to keep my budget around $1,100.

Apple has two different refurbished units 1) 1.6Ghz w/ 120GB HD or 2) 1.8Ghz w/ 80GB HD.

Should I sacrifice 40GB of HD for 0.2Ghz? Is there that noticeable of a difference? I also noticed that the 1.8Ghz seem to be running Intel graphics rather than the Nvida. Any thoughts?

If it were my call, I would go with one with nVidia graphics. It will be better supported in Snow Leopard. The extra drive space would help too. Also, all else being the same, a drive with larger capacity is faster than a smaller one.

Quote:

PS. I know at that pricing I can get a 13" Macbook Pro, but I'm looking at the Macbook Air for it's portability.

Is it really that much more portable? The length and width is the same, and I'd think you'd still want a good bag which makes the thickness difference seem negligible. The new unibodies are pretty slim, you can get more memory, bigger hard drives.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Hi,

Thanks.

Choose option 1. However a few months back, I switched from a Rev B MBA to a 17" MBP and haven't looked back since. Good luck on your buy, OP!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Get the one with Nvidia graphics.