ARGH! iTunes screwed up my Music folder organization!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ARGH!! I just went from a PC to a Mac, so I transferred all of my music over with no problems (so I thought). They way I had things organized on my PC was that each album had it's on separate folder (including soundtracks).

i.e.:

Dave Matthews Band/Before These Crowded Streets

Soundtracks/City of Angels

Soundtracks/Romeo Must Die

Having it this way is simple and cuts down on the number of folders.

However, I noticed that I somehow forgot to uncheck the "Let iTunes Organize My Music Folder" box because now I have artists folders and random crap all spread across my Music folder. This is especially prevalent with soundtracks. Instead of all of the songs being under one single folder, they're are now spread across multiple folders by artist name.

Now I know that this shouldn't bother me because my iPhone/iTunes library sees them as if it's one big pool of data and it doesn't matter which folder they come from (since everything is properly tagged), but I'm anal about organization and this is driving me CRAZY!!

Can I fix this some way without have to weed through every new folder and rearrange everything manually?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    First, leave "Let iTunes Organize My Music Folder" checked and then...

Select all the Soundtrack tracks, Get Info, go to Options and change "Part of compilation" to Yes. This will group them by album under a Compilations folder.

Under iTunes preferences, go to Advanced and select "Group compilations when browsing" so they sort together in iTunes as well.

With iTunes managing your files, there's really no reason to access the files via the finder. You can search for tracks in iTunes and drag and drop outside of iTunes to copy them, or you can Right-Click a track and select "Show in Finder" (Command-R).