Time machine fail to start

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can anyone help me with my TM problem? It does not start the backup process when scheduled time passed.

symptoms:

1.Example: TM says Next Backup: Today, 10:21 AM, the backup did not start, the time changed to the next bacup schedule time 11:20. No other message. When I look at the log, there are no activity at all.

2. I can request a backup "Backup Now", it backs up normaly. It updates the time for the next schedule backup.

3. For some unknow reason the TM may do a backup and schedule the next backup, but when the time due for the next backup, it will not start the job, it just reschedule the next back up time.

4. The TM disk icon will not stay as the blue time machine icon. It switch to the regular yellow disk icon.

Environment:

Mac OS X version 10.5.8

Dedicated TM drive - WD Mybook Home edition - Firewire

Disk use GUID partition table. one partition only.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artyuan View Post

Can anyone help me with my TM problem? It does not start the backup process when scheduled time passed.

symptoms:

1.Example: TM says Next Backup: Today, 10:21 AM, the backup did not start, the time changed to the next bacup schedule time 11:20. No other message. When I look at the log, there are no activity at all.

2. I can request a backup "Backup Now", it backs up normaly. It updates the time for the next schedule backup.

3. For some unknow reason the TM may do a backup and schedule the next backup, but when the time due for the next backup, it will not start the job, it just reschedule the next back up time.

4. The TM disk icon will not stay as the blue time machine icon. It switch to the regular yellow disk icon.

Environment:

Mac OS X version 10.5.8

Dedicated TM drive - WD Mybook Home edition - Firewire

Disk use GUID partition table. one partition only.

Any help will be appreciated.

Open TM Preferences and make sure TM is switched on with the switch at the left side of the panel.

OR restore TM from a backup when it still worked.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Open TM Preferences and make sure TM is switched on with the switch at the left side of the panel.

OR restore TM from a backup when it still worked.

Thank very much for the sugestions, done all that long time before. It didn't resolve the problem.

Other things I tried: Switch disks, reformat the disks, using different brands of external disk, use USB instead of firewire interface, re-config the backup options... problem still there.

I just wonder is there anyone has the same problem like mine.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Thank very much for the sugestions, done all that long time before. It didn't resolve the problem.

Other things I tried: Switch disks, reformat the disks, using different brands of external disk, use USB instead of firewire interface, re-config the backup options... problem still there.

I just wonder is there anyone has the same problem like mine.

How about uninstalling and reinstalling TM completely fresh from the installation DVD?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

How about uninstalling and reinstalling TM completely fresh from the installation DVD?

Thanks again for your message and interests in my problem.

I did contemplating about reinstall TM from the install DVD but decided not doing it now for the following reasons:

1.\tToo much work to reinstall the TM.

2.\tI am planning to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it is available, so I don’t waist too much time on this problem. If the Snow Leopard solves the problem, the only downside will be that I will never know what is my problem.

3.\tI want to observe the TM system a little longer and determine how it schedules the backups. For example, today, the TM took backups, by itself, at 08:16 AM and 11:15 AM. After that, it did nothing so far – 02:15 PM now. So, are those backups are for “daily”? So it did it by itself, or because of other reason.

4.\tThere is no problem in restoring any file to any point of backup time, so the TM is working in some sense.

Have a nice day…
  • Reply 5 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You could always try trashing the Time Machine preferences file at HD/Library/Preferences/com.Apple.TimeMachine.plist.

I have no idea, but I've solved a lot of flakey behavior by tossing plist files, over the years.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:

3.\tI want to observe the TM system a little longer and determine how it schedules the backups. For example, today, the TM took backups, by itself, at 08:16 AM and 11:15 AM. After that, it did nothing so far ? 02:15 PM now. So, are those backups are for ?daily?? So it did it by itself, or because of other reason.

TM backups are hourly as long as you are logged on. Just by chance?were you in sleep mode, or logged off? I'm talking about at 9:15 and 10:15 AM and 12:15 and 1:15 PM ? were you logged on at those times? The reason I'm posing this question is because you said 'So, were those backups are for ?daily?? So it did it by itself, or because of other reason.' It is hourly as long as you are logged on; you would need third-party software to change the schedule from hourly to some other schedule like "daily".

If you are not making this mistake, excuse me.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Good call, Bert.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

TM backups are hourly as long as you are logged on. Just by chance?were you in sleep mode, or logged off? I'm talking about at 9:15 and 10:15 AM and 12:15 and 1:15 PM ? were you logged on at those times? The reason I'm posing this question is because you said 'So, were those backups are for ?daily?? So it did it by itself, or because of other reason.' It is hourly as long as you are logged on; you would need third-party software to change the schedule from hourly to some other schedule like "daily".

If you are not making this mistake, excuse me.

Fair question, the system was active at all the time, was not in sleep mode or logged off.

Thanks for the message.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You could always try trashing the Time Machine preferences file at HD/Library/Preferences/com.Apple.TimeMachine.plist.

I have no idea, but I've solved a lot of flakey behavior by tossing plist files, over the years.

Thanks for the idea, this is the one I never thought about. But, I tried, and it's not it.

Thanks again for all your ideas, the last thing I haven't try is reinstall, as I said, I will wait for the new OS.