MBP freezes on bootup because of battery?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's the strangest thing... On bootup my Mac freezes unless I have taken out the battery... Not an issue as 99% of the time I have it plugged in. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I don't know if I want to even bother bringing it in, regardless of the fact I'm covered under applecare as I'd have to drive 1-2hours or pay 50$ for parking to get to the two closest stores. I'm not buying a windows 7/vista laptop anytime soon but makes me wonder what kind of retarded flaws are built in to these things sometimes.

--edit

So it seems using a battery(new or older 15" MBP Battery) other than my own it will boot up fine. :| I spoke to an ex "Genius" he said he's had a few customers with the same issue, they ended up getting new batteries and sometimes a new charger and all was fine. I guess I'm ordering a new battery online. It's capacity has died over the last yr from minimal use so it must have been partially defective to begin with.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dsational View Post

It's the strangest thing... On bootup my Mac freezes unless I have taken out the battery... Not an issue as 99% of the time I have it plugged in. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I don't know if I want to even bother bringing it in, regardless of the fact I'm covered under applecare as I'd have to drive 1-2hours or pay 50$ for parking to get to the two closest stores. I'm not buying a windows 7/vista laptop anytime soon but makes me wonder what kind of retarded flaws are built in to these things sometimes.

--edit

So it seems using a battery(new or older 15" MBP Battery) other than my own it will boot up fine. :| I spoke to an ex "Genius" he said he's had a few customers with the same issue, they ended up getting new batteries and sometimes a new charger and all was fine. I guess I'm ordering a new battery online. It's capacity has died over the last yr from minimal use so it must have been partially defective to begin with.

RE MBP batteries: I have a Rev B MBP I bought about three years ago and I'm now on my THIRD battery. They truly suck.

I wonder how those new batteries in the unibody machines will hold up.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

RE MBP batteries: I have a Rev B MBP I bought about three years ago and I'm now on my THIRD battery. They truly suck.

I wonder how those new batteries in the unibody machines will hold up.

I thought they have a very long battery life cycle?

OP: It could be a hardware defect. Send it to Apple for a check.