iPhone3G crashing while tethered?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This could maybe go into the Help forum, but I am not looking for help yet. Mainly, I just want to see if anyone else is having similar problems. When I have my iPhone3G tethered to my PC, it constantly crashes if I browse more than 1 or 2 sites a time. I use Safari on my PC and usually keep a few tabs open. If I am very careful not to allow more than 2 tabs from updating, I am usually ok, but I have had it crash while refreshing even a single tab. Sometimes it will happen immediately after enabling tethering and visiting a single page. Sometimes I can be browsing for an hour without any problems. This only seems to happen when tethered to my PC. I occasionally tether my MBP and have never had this happen. It is almost unusable on my PC. The phone crashes completely and reboots.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Well... I'm in the US with ATT, so I can't tether at all!.... but .... it sounds like if you replaced the PC with a Mac the problem might go away??
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Well... I'm in the US with ATT, so I can't tether at all!.... but .... it sounds like if you replaced the PC with a Mac the problem might go away??

That's another reason why a PC is unreliable and they should use it in the Microsoft Hunters ad. Our PCs cannot tether yet!

No offense to you, OP.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The Mac is at home for personal use and the PC is at work for, well, work. I may actually see about having them get me a Mac at work, but I will still need a PC in the end.

It may be just that I have not used tethering on the Mac enough to really stress it or it may be Safari on the PC is overloading the connection. I do notice that the crash usually occurs when Safari is loading a page that runs the CPU up fairly high, but not always. I tether the PC at work periodically to get around some new site filtering they are using on our DNS, while at home I have no need to tether the Mac. If I get a chance I will set it up at home and see if it happens at all with the Mac.

I have tried restoring the iPhone and last night it said there was an IPCC file update for my carrier. I was hoping that either or both of these might help, but this morning it still crashed while tethered.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

That's another reason why a PC is unreliable and they should use it in the Microsoft Hunters ad. Our PCs cannot tether yet!

No offense to you, OP.

I may be something on the PC that is causing it, but since it is the iPhone that is crashing, I lean toward blaming the iPhone right now. Funny that I run into this now that my 3G is a couple weeks out of warranty.