The Apple Tablet; Replacing Apple TV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here's my dream device, and one I think Apple may actually release as a true 'game-changer' in the tablet/netbook space.



A 10" Wi-Fi/3G tablet designed for web, email and media

full multi-touch display

all the usual stuff you're reading about Apple's tablet...



BUT, here's the big feature. An accompanying 'receiver' that plugs into your TV/Stereo - A replacement for the Airport Express...This time with HD video.



The Tablet can 'pipe' a live stream of whatever it's showing in HD to your TV. You use the tablet to browse the web with friends on your big screen; you use it as a remote to order/control your iTunes content and movie rentals, you even use it as a universal remote to control your other gear. In addition, the OLED screen makes e-Book reading a pleasure (though still only 6 hours of battery).



Your Mac is your desktop device for work/life.

Your iPhone is your mobile device for work/life.

Your iTablet is your couch-side/bed-side device for work/life.



At your Desk.

In your Hand.

By your Side...Apple.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post


    Here's my dream device, and one I think Apple may actually release as a true 'game-changer' in the tablet/netbook space.



    A 10" Wi-Fi/3G tablet designed for web, email and media

    full multi-touch display

    all the usual stuff you're reading about Apple's tablet...



    BUT, here's the big feature. An accompanying 'receiver' that plugs into your TV/Stereo - A replacement for the Airport Express...This time with HD video.



    The Tablet can 'pipe' a live stream of whatever it's showing in HD to your TV. You use the tablet to browse the web with friends on your big screen; you use it as a remote to order/control your iTunes content and movie rentals, you even use it as a universal remote to control your other gear. In addition, the OLED screen makes e-Book reading a pleasure (though still only 6 hours of battery).



    Your Mac is your desktop device for work/life.

    Your iPhone is your mobile device for work/life.

    Your iTablet is your couch-side/bed-side device for work/life.



    At your Desk.

    In your Hand.

    By your Side...Apple.



    Then I guess the tablet might not be of much use anymore.. It's in a dangerous position.. not too many Mac features / no SL = people rather buying a Macbook or the 13" MBP. Running on mobile OSX = giant iPod Touch = not much usage = not many people buying it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Mac OS X inside and video-out port on a 300 to 600 g small device tablet. That is all needed for success. The iPod touch is too limited with its crippled OS inside.



    The MacBook Air is too heavy and large, besides being port-limited.



    Or bring a MacBook Air mini at 1/4 the MacBook Air size, no more than 600 g and with real independent ports: video-out, Ethernet, Firewire, USB2, SD card.



    Or bring them all: iPod TABLET, Mac TABLET and MacBook TABLET. This is certainly the best approach, for anyone to get any of them.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    I'm not really seeing it, other than to say what you're describing is a huge remote for the AppleTV, and a box that's just like the AppleTV's hardware other than maybe dropping the hard drive.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I'm not really seeing it, other than to say what you're describing is a huge remote for the AppleTV, and a box that's just like the AppleTV's hardware other than maybe dropping the hard drive.



    It's a tablet first...



    You have this device for web browsing, email, facebook etc. while you're sitting around with family/friends. You take it with you when you travel, almost anywhere, for reading, movies, web, email etc...You take it to meetings for notes and capturing doodles etc. You use it as an additional WIRELESS display (on an optional stand) for your desktop/laptop.



    When you get home, you pull it up on your TV, show off some YouTube videos, browse the web with your wife, and then settle in for a rented iTunes Movie.



    When done, you take it to bed to read a book.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post


    Mac OS X inside and video-out port on a 300 to 600 g small device tablet. That is all needed for success. The iPod touch is too limited with its crippled OS inside.



    Just in passing, I don't think the Touch/iPhone OS is in any way "crippled", although I realize that's often used as a synonym for "lacks features I would prefer."



    The limiting aspect of the Touch/iPhone is the size of the device, which then limits power consumption and screen size, which limits CPU speed and memory, plus requires that certain aspects of the UI be heavily optimized for small screen touch.



    I don't think there's anything in particular about the OS, however, that wouldn't be capable of taking full advantage of more memory, faster CPUs and more screen resolution.



    That's part of the great competitive advantage afforded to Apple by using a variant of their desktop OS on their handheld devices: they can scale to match hardware.



    This isn't like MS trying to get WinCE to act more like a netbook, or, after a certain threshold, just bumping up to Windows Starter Edition. Or what Nokia is trying to do with Symbian (and failing, hence Mameo) or what RIM won't be able to do with the Blackberry OS.



    This is the resource heavy OS X framework standing by to provided whatever functionality new hardware may require.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post


    It's a tablet first...



    You have this device for web browsing, email, facebook etc. while you're sitting around with family/friends. You take it with you when you travel, almost anywhere, for reading, movies, web, email etc...You take it to meetings for notes and capturing doodles etc. You use it as an additional WIRELESS display (on an optional stand) for your desktop/laptop.



    When you get home, you pull it up on your TV, show off some YouTube videos, browse the web with your wife, and then settle in for a rented iTunes Movie.



    When done, you take it to bed to read a book.



    It will not make a lot of sense IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I'm not really seeing it, other than to say what you're describing is a huge remote for the AppleTV, and a box that's just like the AppleTV's hardware other than maybe dropping the hard drive.



    +1. If these are the few major features of the tablet, I'll give it a miss.. I believe Apple has more innovations than that..
Sign In or Register to comment.