forget it

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Beat to the punch. Mods-delete

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yes, it is FH, what does that have to do with an Apple Store update?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Well, not to get TOO philosophical, but at what point does the future become the present? More prosaically, it's still Future Hardware until it reopens with something new. Until then, it's another piece of evidence to use for pointless (but enjoyable) speculation and bickering. If the store reopens with nothing new, then it "Why did the store close without updating??? What's Apple trying to hide? etc. etc. etc."

It belongs here as much as anywhere else, IMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by TJM:

<strong>Well, not to get TOO philosophical, but at what point does the future become the present? More prosaically, it's still Future Hardware until it reopens with something new. Until then, it's another piece of evidence to use for pointless (but enjoyable) speculation and bickering. If the store reopens with nothing new, then it "Why did the store close without updating??? What's Apple trying to hide? etc. etc. etc."

It belongs here as much as anywhere else, IMHO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No it belongs in General Discussion because the subject i about the Apple Store, not and future hardware.

If the Apple Store updates with new towers, then this topic goes from General Discussion to Current Hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

No it belongs in General Discussion because the subject i about the Apple Store, not and future hardware.

If the Apple Store updates with new towers, then this topic goes from General Discussion to Current Hardware.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who the hell cares?

Alex
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote] Well, not to get TOO philosophical, but at what point does the future become the present? <hr></blockquote>

Around about now, I'd say.

• Reply 6 of 11
    Yeah... for as long as I can remember, now has always seemed more like the present than the future.

The future always seems... you know.. so.. "Tomorrow-ish."
  • Reply 7 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I remember hearing in like IQ the moive that there WAS no present... that everything that you could measure was already in the past and anything that you could not measure was still in the future for precisly(sp?) that reason...

Edit: nothing in-between

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Psantora beat me to it...to pointing out that, however you slice it, we are either analyzing the past or planning for the future. The present, once identified, is already in the past if we are able to think about it. One can not think of the present, it must be felt, be experienced as pure existence without thought...

The only time we are truly within the present is during an orgasm or a shot in the mainline. Any other time, the present is mythical.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ummm.... All I was really referring to was that whatever was going on in the Apple Store while it was down (turns out nothing, AFAICS), it was still FUTURE hardware until the store reopened with new goods. At that point, it becomes CURRENT hardware. End of point.

Isaac Asimov did a story called "The Distant Past" about a machine that could look into the past. Everybody thought of it in terms of centuries, millennia ago, and couldn't see the problem with it, until they caught on (at the end) that the past really is the present. Whatever happened 1/100,000,000th of a second ago is still effectively the present, yet really is the past. In fact we never see anything in the universe the way it is, we see it the way it was when the light left it on its trip to our eyes. So, ultimately (as has been stated above), there is no present. There is the future, and varying degrees of "past".

OK, enough about this stuff. Say, did anybody hear that Apple has this cool new processor in the works called the "G5"? It's supposed to be really fast....

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: TJM ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Apple is losing too many sales, they must deliver a Powermac G5 soon.

I know a few people who would normally buy a tower, but they decided on a new iMac because the towers sucks so hard.

Apple needs to do something drastic. Is it out of the question for Apple to help moto with development costs? Is that unprecedented? or maybe Jobs could hire a few thugs to apprehend some Moto execs and "explain" things to them. Two lead pipes and chain might get some serious advances out of moto. It's hard to imagine that their totally lame CPU development is accidental. I think they're doing it to get revenge upon Jobs for killing the clones. it's the "clone wars" for real!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Is it out of the question for Apple to help moto with development costs? Is that unprecedented? </strong><hr></blockquote>

According to some rumors circulating last summer, Apple is doing just that. It may very well be that we see nothing about a desktop G5 at Motorola's website because Motorola is not actually designing one. Apple may be doing the whole thing in-house - licensing the basic 85xx design and AltiVec, then adding their own bells and whistles and having it fabbed elsewhere. And, Apple being Apple, not a peep has leaked out about it (at least in the last 6 months). I'm in no position to judge whether this is actually happening, but it's an interesting sidelight to the whole business.