iTunes 9 Speculation

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm going to start with the disclaimer that I am no Apple expert, and I cannot see the future. But with Apple's September iPod event (probably) right around the corner, here's my prediction about iTunes 9.

With the release of Snow Leopard imminent, there remain only 2 applications that are not 64-Bit: iTunes and DVD Player. And then low and behold, there are rumors of iTunes 9 coming with BluRay (and possibly DVD) support. A coincidence? I think not.*

iTunes 9 is gonna be 64-Bit, have the ability to import and play DVD's and BluRay's, arrange iPhone and iPod Touch apps, and have the social networking features that the Blogs have been playing up. I also suspect that iTunes will be slimmed down, which is inkeeping with the goals of Snow Leopard.*

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    nicuknicuk Posts: 4member
    Deleted
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Ok cool. But do you know if iTunes will be 64 bit? And what other new features will it have?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    nicuknicuk Posts: 4member
    Deleted
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I hope they seriously speed up the Windows version of iTunes... its very bloated and slow - completely unlike Apple to have something so rubbish.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Windows.. very bloated and slow - completely unlike Apple..

Of course..
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Of course..

Haha, I see what you've done there. Bu in all seriousness, Apple needs a kick up the backside to improve the speed and responsiveness of iTunes in Windows. It isn't much fun using it as it is.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

snip.. Apple needs a kick up the backside to improve the speed and responsiveness of iTunes in Windows. It isn't much fun using it as it is.

+1. Although I do use a Mac but not a PC, I have to agree with you on this. Apple has to shame Microsoft by making its software nice to PC users who own iPods/iPhones.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bvabva Posts: 1member
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Yes, I think 64bit iTunes 9 is coming our way this week.

(And I, without thinking much, relegate the screenshots above to "hoax")

I think the concept of updating a social website with the song we're listening to is weak and counter-productive (unless 'current song' is distinctly different to other general updates sent to the sites). There are some BIG things iTunes could do with social media - more related to iPhoto (inc locations), Playlists (with links to iTunes preview/purchase), iMovies, Published calendars, Address books Friends, iChat, etc. An immediate social presence with little-to-no effort.

I like to think that Apple is busy working away at a new interface for how we use television. How do we pick our shows? What type of shows do we watch in sequential order? When does watching something our friends are watching become appealing (and how does it dovetail with social media)? How does live TV fit in? What need does channel surfing serve? How does internet browsing relate to TV watching? What will we pay for, and where are ads appropriate (and where are they useless)?

... while I'd love to see their answer next week, and think they might already have something ready to run on iTunes/AppleTV/iPhone, I suspect that it is up to a year away due to licensing issues.

I doubt we'll see DVD importing, too difficult to license. But we may have DVD viewing built into iTunes, that makes sense... and perhaps even streaming to the AppleTV.

edit:

The best thing Apple could really do is really fix up how we manage our media, how it syncs, and definitely how we share our media between laptops, desktops, and network storage.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    If they make a 64-bit version of iTunes, would that mean that it would have to be completely redone in Cocoa because Carbon is only 32-bit, which would also mean that the iTunes Store would have to render the pages using WebKit, not Java, since Java binding have been depreciated in Cocoa?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Yes, I think 64bit iTunes 9 is coming our way this week.

(And I, without thinking much, relegate the screenshots above to "hoax")

I think the concept of updating a social website with the song we're listening to is weak and counter-productive (unless 'current song' is distinctly different to other general updates sent to the sites). There are some BIG things iTunes could do with social media - more related to iPhoto (inc locations), Playlists (with links to iTunes preview/purchase), iMovies, Published calendars, Address books Friends, iChat, etc. An immediate social presence with little-to-no effort.

I like to think that Apple is busy working away at a new interface for how we use television. How do we pick our shows? What type of shows do we watch in sequential order? When does watching something our friends are watching become appealing (and how does it dovetail with social media)? How does live TV fit in? What need does channel surfing serve? How does internet browsing relate to TV watching? What will we pay for, and where are ads appropriate (and where are they useless)?

... while I'd love to see their answer next week, and think they might already have something ready to run on iTunes/AppleTV/iPhone, I suspect that it is up to a year away due to licensing issues.

I doubt we'll see DVD importing, too difficult to license. But we may have DVD viewing built into iTunes, that makes sense... and perhaps even streaming to the AppleTV.

edit:

The best thing Apple could really do is really fix up how we manage our media, how it syncs, and definitely how we share our media between laptops, desktops, and network storage.

You are probably right about the potential problems surrounding DVD (BluRay) import and copyright.

But I don't understand why it is so, why are we allowed to import our CDs, but not DVDs.

I find it weird and stupid, If people want to rip their DVDs, then I can assure you that they will do so, but just with a 3rd party application like HandBrake.

So come on and get real, let us have the possibility of importing our DVDs natively into iTunes
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [QUOTE=bva;1477283]Thanks so much !

*spam adv deleted*

Thanks your a*s! Free advertisers are not welcome here.