mini dvi output issues.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a macbook 2.4gb intel. i am running the latest version of leopard. I seem to be having trouble with my dvi output.

when i plug in the converter, the mac recognizes it and readjusts the screen

on the tv, (my older read projection) ,all i see is grey squiggly lines, not snow.. the picture is there but it is not converted properly. i cant see anything. i press command f1 and something usually happens and goes back to the grey shit.

i try it on my hd tv, and it just says /'no signal/', so i am assuming that the picture isnt getting converted properly. could it be my converter, or is it something in the output setting or the mini divi port? the converter i got was one from best buy- dynex, and it has a mini dvi male, and a female composite and s-video.

any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Check your MB video settings. Are you using PAL or NTSC? 50 or 60 Hz? (Your description sounds like the it's a frequency issue.) What is your resolution? Are you interlaced or progressive? NTSC composite and s-video is 60Hz 480i.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamkalive View Post

I have a macbook 2.4gb intel. i am running the latest version of leopard. I seem to be having trouble with my dvi output.

when i plug in the converter, the mac recognizes it and readjusts the screen

on the tv, (my older read projection) ,all i see is grey squiggly lines, not snow.. the picture is there but it is not converted properly. i cant see anything. i press command f1 and something usually happens and goes back to the grey shit.

i try it on my hd tv, and it just says /'no signal/', so i am assuming that the picture isnt getting converted properly. could it be my converter, or is it something in the output setting or the mini divi port? the converter i got was one from best buy- dynex, and it has a mini dvi male, and a female composite and s-video.

any ideas?

From the description of your computer, I'm guessing that you have the early 2009 MacBook with NVIDIA chipset and 9400M graphics. That computer only supports DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA graphics outputs via an "adapter". It doesn't support composite or S-video unlike some other Macs with Intel or ATI graphics. However, it's possible to buy a true converter to do that job but I believe what you have is an adapter, not a converter.

Doesn't solve your problem but at least should keep you from thinking you're doing something wrong.