iTunes 9 Screenshots (With Facebook)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Deleted

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    I wonder if this'll mean Apple drop DVD Player in the future, if DVDs are to be played through iTunes, and I wonder what new limitations on DVD playback will be introduced with iTunes?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Nice one, OP! Is it available for download now?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Oh, that Facebook "feature" is going to get real old, real fast.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I sure hope this is real.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

I wonder if this'll mean Apple drop DVD Player in the future, if DVDs are to be played through iTunes, and I wonder what new limitations on DVD playback will be introduced with iTunes?

Very likely. But with Apple you never do know. I'd say they make keep DVD player around as it has more advanced features. They put a lot of time into it on Leopard. Not that I ever really use it, though it's nice to know it's there.

BTW I happen to think the whole iTunes DVD import thing is real.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Very likely. But with Apple you never do know. I'd say they make keep DVD player around as it has more advanced features. They put a lot of time into it on Leopard. Not that I ever really use it, though it's nice to know it's there.

They kept Quicktime didn't they? They'll keep DVD player around.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Ironic that while they're trying to combine things on the hardware side, they're leaving around all these redundant media applications that should have been rolled into iTunes long ago..
  • Reply 8 of 16
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Ironic that while they're trying to combine things on the hardware side, they're leaving around all these redundant media applications that should have been rolled into iTunes long ago..

I disagree that they should all be rolled in. iTunes is a library-based app, whereas Quicktime is great for playing an individual file that you don't necessarily want to keep forever.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Why do you think DVD importing is real? While I would love to rip my DVDs into iTunes (or anywhere else) I question this after the way the DVD folks went after ReaNetworks and Kaleidoscope.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Oh, that Facebook "feature" is going to get real old, real fast.

Yeah, a posted news item for seemingly everything? It's not far from telling all your friends when you synced.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Why do you think DVD importing is real? While I would love to rip my DVDs into iTunes (or anywhere else) I question this after the way the DVD folks went after ReaNetworks and Kaleidoscope.

Yeah, so far they're not playing along with anything. They seem to be trying to prevent any hint of an idea that DVDs are rippable from getting out to the general public, those two systems tried to keep it on the level as much as possible and try to protect the media from further copying. I'm not sure if the general public really even cares, but who knows.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Apple has relationships with these studios. Apple also probably convinced them that allowing folks to import DVD's into iTunes would actually encourage DVD sales. And rightly too, cause it would. That's why I think it's real. If the studios see more $$$ they'll allow it, and through it they will. Besides, the studios know it's happening anyway. It's the same reason the record companies don't go after people importing CDs.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

...Yeah, so far they're not playing along with anything. They seem to be trying to prevent any hint of an idea that DVDs are rippable from getting out to the general public, those two systems tried to keep it on the level as much as possible and try to protect the media from further copying...

I wonder if Apple could an a facility to iTunes that would allow ripping to your library, but not allow transfer of the files, or burning etc.; maybe just to 5other PCs with iTunes, a bit like I understand they do with downloaded content??

That could be a compelling feature for both users with bona fide DVD collections, and for studios too.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

I wonder if Apple could an a facility to iTunes that would allow ripping to your library, but not allow transfer of the files, or burning etc.; maybe just to 5other PCs with iTunes, a bit like I understand they do with downloaded content??

That could be a compelling feature for both users with bona fide DVD collections, and for studios too.

Real's program has even tighter restrictions and the movie cartel didn't like that.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Real's program has even tighter restrictions and the movie cartel didn't like that.

Not familiar with Real's program, but I wonder if iTunes links to the iTMS could tip the balance in it's favour? would the studio like iTMS to offer me the latest paid-for download from studio X based on my current library I wonder?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Apple has relationships with these studios. Apple also probably convinced them that allowing folks to import DVD's into iTunes would actually encourage DVD sales. And rightly too, cause it would. That's why I think it's real. If the studios see more $$$ they'll allow it, and through it they will. Besides, the studios know it's happening anyway. It's the same reason the record companies don't go after people importing CDs.

I kind of agree with you but this goes against the crowd that claims that Apple will do everything they can to protect the iTMS revenue. -- Apple will not allow DVD ripping to force you into buying your media from the iTMS.

I think Apple is at the cusp of deciding if it is a hardware manufacture who is using the iTMS to entice you into buying their hardware. Or a media merchant using its hardware to entice you to buy your media from the iTMS. I also feel that Hollywood has been pushing the latter in a effort to prevent Apple from taking over like they did with music. Your argument could be a push back from Apple stating how the studios can save a declining revenue stream while permitting Apple to remain a hardware manufacture.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

I kind of agree with you but this goes against the crowd that claims that Apple will do everything they can to protect the iTMS revenue. -- Apple will not allow DVD ripping to force you into buying your media from the iTMS..

The problem is that the majority if having to choose between the DVD and iTunes download just went for the DVD. Digital music was adopted so fast because of import/export rights. Digital movies are not because of no such rights.