Detective Andy Sipowicz...unluckiest character in TV history
Okay, as a fan of "NYPD Blue" since EPISODE ONE, it has dawned on me over the past year or so what a horrible life my favorite television character has had.
Let's recap. If nothing else, this thread might make us all feel better about ourselves.
1. He's an alcoholic. This fact has played into more than several episodes.
2. First episode (back in 1993), he gets shot 6 times (once in the ass) by some low-rent mob thug. He barely lives.
3. He's a racist and his views and mouth have gotten him into hot water, including a locker room fistfight with his boss, Lt. Arthur Fancy...a black guy.
4. Loses partner and best friend, John Kelly, to a trumped up internal affairs investigation. Kelly (David Caruso) resigns from the force.
5. His best friend and trusted AA sponsor, Dan (played by Peter Boyle), is stabbed and killed by his mentally unbalanced son (Dan's son, not Andy's).
6. Estranged from his first wife and son, Andy Jr.(due to number one above). But finally manages, over the course of half a season or so, get on friendly terms with his son, and a great relationship between them finally builds. Just in time for...
7. Andy, Jr., soon after joining the police force himself, is shot in the head and killed while trying to stop a robbery in a bar. This tragedy results in Sipowicz swan-diving off the wagon...again.
8. Andy gets prostate cancer. 'Nuff said
9. Detective Bobby Simone (Jimmy Smits), the guy who replaced Detective John Kelly and became Andy's partner and best friend for five years, contracts a freak heart disease and slowly suffers and dies over the course of about four episodes.
10. A year or so later, his wife Sylvia, a lead D.A., is shot in a courtroom shootout. She dies, leaving Andy to care for their toddler son Theo by himself.
11. Theo himself falls ill for several episodes and a possible leukemia scare hangs over the proceedings. Andy doesn't take this well...and after reviewing 1-10, I can't say I blame him.
12. Detective Simone's replacement, Detective Danny Sorenson (played by Rick Schroeder) ends up disappearing at the end of last season and is found dead and buried under the Brooklyn Bridge in this season's opening episode. He was murdered.
So, let's recap:
He's lost three partners: one to office politics, two to death.
He's lost his best friend, his oldest son and his beloved second wife to violence (one stabbing, two gunshots)
He's had cancer, he's an alcoholic and he's been shot in the ass.
I don't think a single character in the history of television has had to put up with this much bullcrap!
Gotta love him...