District 9

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Im going to see it tonight. Im very excited. Other than 1 trailer and little bit of info on Wikipedia I really dont know ANYTHING about it yet. Im a big fan of the more cerebral side of the sci-fi genre. Some of my fave films include 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1984, A Clockwork Orange, Children of Men, Stalker, Solaris, Gattica, Blade Runner, AI, THX, Fahrenheit 451, etc.

Anyone want to discuss this film? Kick off the party as I go to the theatre and see it for myself. Id enjoy discussing it later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Im going to see it tonight. Im very excited. Other than 1 trailer and little bit of info on Wikipedia I really dont know ANYTHING about it yet. Im a big fan of the more cerebral side of the sci-fi genre. Some of my fave films include 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1984, A Clockwork Orange, Children of Men, Stalker, Solaris, Gattica, Blade Runner, AI, THX, Fahrenheit 451, etc.

Anyone want to discuss this film? Kick off the party as I go to the theater and see it for myself. Id enjoy discussing it later.

I saw it last weekend, IMHO one of the better films I've seen in many years. I am seriously considering going to see it in theater again, something I almost never do. The last movie I paid to see more than once was Titanic. It's also proof that it isn't necessary to have an A-list cast to make a great movie. (In fact it probably is a factor in many of the big blockbuster type movies turning out terrible)

I believe this was Neill Blomkamp's first 'big studio' film, if so he has a long Hollywood career ahead of him, so long as he avoids stumbling after a great start like M. Night Shyamalan for example.

The film has already out-grossed it's $30 million dollar budget the first weekend, and let me say in all honesty from the quality of the SFX/CGI I thought it had a budget of $130 million when I saw it, until I read this article.