Briefly: Snow Leopard ship date, iPhone 3GS HD video

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
More evidence of an Aug. 28 ship date for Snow Leopard appeared and disappeared this week; and a App Store application enables buggy high definition playback on the iPhone 3GS.

iPhone 3GS HD video

Using third-party file transfer methods, numerous Web sites have reported varying degrees of success in playing 1080P high definition video on the iPhone 3GS. The playback, however, does not work on the iPhone 3G, leading some to speculate that the higher-powered iPhone 3GS could be capable of playback of video on an external high definition screen.

Engadget tried the method using the App Store software FileAid and an iPhone 3GS. The test produced mixed results, as some videos stuttered and others simply crashed. The same test produced error messages on the iPhone 3G.

"We're hoping Apple is polishing that up and getting ready to unlock this functionality, since it'd be sweet to just plug into an HDTV and play video," the report states.

HD video serves no real purpose for playback on the iPhone alone, which has a screen resolution of only 480 by 320 pixels. But while the iPhone can also output video on an external monitor, it is currently limited to 640 by 480 resolution playback.

Snow Leopard Aug. 28 ship date disappears

For a brief time, various versions of Apple's Web site across the globe listed a ship date of Aug. 28 for Snow Leopard for customers of the company's Up-to-Date Program. The ship date served to support ongoing rumors that Mac OS X 10.6 would arrive before its previously announced launch window of September.

However, since then, both the U.S. Apple Store and U.K. Apple Store have changed their respective sites to say "Ships: September."

The Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program applies to customers who purchased a qualifying Mac from Apple's online store on or after June 8, 2009. It allows customers to upgrade to Snow Leopard for $9.95.

Rumors have surfaced that the current build of Snow Leopard, 10A432, is the Golden Master, meaning it is the final version before the product is released for duplication on optical media.

For all others looking to upgrade from the current version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Snow Leopard will cost $29 for the single user license and $49 for the five-license family pack. The new operating system will be available only for Mac users on Intel-based computers. Also available are Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard ($499) and two upgrade box sets: OS, iWork and iLife ($169) and the five-license family pack, iWork and iLife ($229).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Too late to take the date away now... the cat's out of the bag (in more ways than one).
  • Reply 2 of 84
    "Ships: September" WTF!!

We know its Aug 28th, Apple. For once, you cudnt hide it.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Too late to take the date away now... the cat's out of the bag (in more ways than one).

Hey-oooh!

Seriously, at only $29 you can't go wrong.

I'm assuming if you wish to do a clean install you'll need to install Leopard FIRST, and then run the SL upgrade?
  • Reply 4 of 84
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

"Ships: September" WTF!!

We know its Aug 28th, Apple. For once, you cudnt hide it.

This time it means that all the Windows 7 vs Mac OS reviews will be using the latest version of Mac OS X, unlike when Vista came out. That'll take the edge off Redmond's efforts!
  • Reply 5 of 84
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    If they don't open up SL for preorders today, I can't see it coming out on the 28th. But we'll see...
  • Reply 6 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

This time it means that all the Windows 7 vs Mac OS reviews will be using the latest version of Mac OS X, unlike when Vista came out. That'll take the edge off Redmond's efforts!

Well you bring up a good point. The only real way in which OS X competes with Windows is in the Premium end of the market. Apple deosn't play in the bottom end, and is out of a good portion of the mid-end.

At this point, Apple commands around 91% of the $1000+ notebook market.

MS will want to try two things here:

1) To get consumers who are interested in spending $1000+ to go for a cheaper Windows 7 configuration and save some money, or . . .

2) To compete with Apple directly in the $1000+ end of the market.

I can see MS making some headway with the first possibility. But I see them hitting brick wall with the second possibility.

If the Laptop Hunter ads' failure is anything to go by, there's a likelihood that consumers might still not choose the cheaper option at all, even with Windows 7.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    But won't this HD capability cut into sales of the AppleTV?

Unless you are able to stream HD to the AppleTV?
  • Reply 8 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I would like to see them try to play 720p video at a bitrate similar iTunes' HD offerings. It looks like the only 720p they tried was a high bitrate file off a camcorder and the rest was 1080p files. If we assume it's going to be a few years before iTunes offers 1080p, Apple would have no motivation to play it on the iPhone/touch anyway.

But if they offered a way to make the current 720p video downloads more portable (ie, I can load a movie onto my touch and take it to my friend's house for movie night), that would be a useful option to have and would make both the touch and their video sales more attractive.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well you bring up a good point. The only real way in which OS X competes with Windows is in the Premium end of the market. Apple deosn't play in the bottom end, and is out of a good portion of the mid-end.

At this point, Apple commands around 91% of the $1000+ notebook market.

MS will want to try two things here:

1) To get consumers who are interested in spending $1000+ to go for a cheaper Windows 7 configuration and save some money, or . . .

2) To compete with Apple directly in the $1000+ end of the market.

I can see MS making some headway with the first possibility. But I see them hitting brick wall with the second possibility.

If the Laptop Hunter ads' failure is anything to go by, there's a likelihood that consumers might still not choose the cheaper option at all, even with Windows 7.

microsoft doesn't care which computer you buy or how much it costs because they get the exact same licensing fee. most home PC's ship with Windows Home Premium and most business PC's with Vista Business. The upgrade to Ultimate costs $150 from home premium. MS and Intel worked out a nice system where they get most of the money from a PC purchase and Dell/HP get the crumbs on the floor.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

microsoft doesn't care which computer you buy or how much it costs because they get the exact same licensing fee. most home PC's ship with Windows Home Premium and most business PC's with Vista Business. The upgrade to Ultimate costs $150 from home premium. MS and Intel worked out a nice system where they get most of the money from a PC purchase and Dell/HP get the crumbs on the floor.

While I agree, I don't think being virtually locked out of the Premium end of the market sits well with Microsoft (or maybe it does.)
  • Reply 11 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Quote:

While I agree, I don't think being virtually locked out of the Premium end of the market sits well with Microsoft (or maybe it does.)

"Ballmer also explained that the company?s goal is to raise PC prices in the next year. That?s due both to expected popularity of a new class of higher-end and higher-priced netbooks, a new pricing strategy around Windows 7 that the company hopes will result in far more upgrades to premium skus"

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...aint_prai.html
  • Reply 12 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The biggest surprise about Snow Leopard is you forget you are using it. Put on sister's Air, she never even noticed. Further evidence of Apple working on Mac OS X touch behind the scenes. They like to blow us away and this is just snappier really. Snappier is welcome though. A lot of stuff like System Prefs is now actually fast enough to be useable. Less general sluggishness across the OS.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    The fact that new Macs ship with the latest OS and iLife leads to confusion for me later when I upgrade. I saw the bundles showing OS, iLife, and iWork, and my first thought was: "Wait a minute, iLife comes as a part of the OS so why is that bundled?" I just have this mindset that iLife is part of the OS because that's how I almost always get it. (I tend to buy a new Mac every two years or so)
  • Reply 14 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The fact that new Macs ship with the latest OS and iLife leads to confusion for me later when I upgrade. I saw the bundles showing OS, iLife, and iWork, and my first thought was: "Wait a minute, iLife comes as a part of the OS so why is that bundled?" I just have this mindset that iLife is part of the OS because that's how I almost always get it. (I tend to buy a new Mac every two years or so)

It's only a matter of time until that is actually the case. They should have done it with Snow Leopard IMO. Then update every 2 years or so and give us a newer OS with new iLife and iWork built in, thus making the Mac a very attractive offer. BTW iWork does not come as part of a new Mac, that iWork is only a 30 day trial.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:

Hey-oooh!

Seriously, at only $29 you can't go wrong.

I'm assuming if you wish to do a clean install you'll need to install Leopard FIRST, and then run the SL upgrade?

it's been talked numerous times, NO, you won't need to install leopard 1st. in that case there would not be a clean install, even at apple's standards.

the worst thing could happen is to insert a leopard dvd; however, the GM (Gold Master) easily installed clean with no leopard inserts.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

it's been talked numerous times, NO, you won't need to install leopard 1st. in that case there would not be a clean install, even at apple's standards.

the worst thing could happen is to insert a leopard dvd; however, the GM (Gold Master) easily installed clean with no leopard inserts.

So for $29 you're getting a full copy of SL.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's only a matter of time until that is actually the case. They should have done it with Snow Leopard IMO. Then update every 2 years or so and give us a newer OS with new iLife and iWork built in, thus making the Mac a very attractive offer. BTW iWork does not come as part of a new Mac, that iWork is only a 30 day trial.

Except sometimes you don't want to move to the new version. Past examples were when they neutered iMovie and took away all of the fine editting controls (some of which made there way back in later) and iCal which was arguably a step backwards in the UI and you had no option to revert back to the previous version. Granted, iLife could be included but be an optional install. And Apple would lose whatever revenue they get from selling it seperately unless they increased the price of the OS.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:

So for $29 you're getting a full copy of SL.

You get an upgrade copy that happens to have the full install on it. You can't start a Mac clone company and install $29 copies of Snow Leopard on your knock-off hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    Quote:

since you can get a PC with faster hardware than a Mac for under $1000, the premium PC market is only for really high end computers like AlienWare that cost $2000 and up. i looked at an imac long enough to figure out you can't put an upgraded graphics card in it and that was the end of that. and i looked at a MBP until i saw i can't get the cheapest 15" one with the 9600M graphics and i had to buy the $2000 one.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"Ballmer also explained that the company?s goal is to raise PC prices in the next year. That?s due both to expected popularity of a new class of higher-end and higher-priced netbooks, a new pricing strategy around Windows 7 that the company hopes will result in far more upgrades to premium skus"

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...aint_prai.html

and MS still makes almost the exact same licensing fee whether you buy Vista Basic or Premium on a netbook or on a desktop PC. with the new netbooks they will push the more expensive versions of Windows.

you can already get a very nice netbook for $500. next year with Larabee it will be even better