New iPhone update?????

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi there:

I have just clicked on iTunes "search for new updates" for the iPhone, and it says there is one for "User settings for my iPhone", or something like that....

It seems bit strange to me, as it doesn't have any number (like 3.0.2 or similar) and it is the first time I have seen an update of this type. Also, I haven't heard in this website or other forums about this, so I am a bit suspicious, in case it is a virus or similar. I haven't downloaded it yet...

Anybody has got this message? Is this OK to download?

Thanks

PS.: by the way, I am using iTunes 8 and on a iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Hi there:

I have just clicked on iTunes "search for new updates" for the iPhone, and it says there is one for "User settings for my iPhone", or something like that....

It seems bit strange to me, as it doesn't have any number (like 3.0.2 or similar) and it is the first time I have seen an update of this type. Also, I haven't heard in this website or other forums about this, so I am a bit suspicious, in case it is a virus or similar. I haven't downloaded it yet...

Thanks

I checked this on my Mac and I did not see any updates available. Are you in the US? I wondering if AT&T is starting to roll out MMS and this is how the feature will be activated...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

I checked this on my Mac and I did not see any updates available. Are you in the US? I wondering if AT&T is starting to roll out MMS and this is how the feature will be activated...

No, I'm in UK

strange!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Did it say you have a carrier settings update? I have that too but so far I have declined to update it. I still have to update to 3.0.1 too, just waiting till I have some time to download it ect.... I think it must be something from O2.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    O2 changed the carrier settings for the 3.0 upgrade. Problem is, itunes wants to set it back to the old settings so if you updated your settings manually and it asks, don't install it or it will stop your data access working until you enter the right settings.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nothing in Australia, tethering and MMS started working with Vodafone here as soon as I updated to 3.0.

Switching to my Optus SIM (My iPhone 3G is officially unlocked) seems to switch off visual voicemail and messes up the MMS.

Good thing I never use MMS apart from a couple of tests.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Hi there:

Thanks

That's a nice find..
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

O2 changed the carrier settings for the 3.0 upgrade. Problem is, itunes wants to set it back to the old settings so if you updated your settings manually and it asks, don't install it or it will stop your data access working until you enter the right settings.

Thanks Marvin. Yes, I changed them manually (well, the guy at the Apple Store changed them for me when I bought it so my data, mms, etc... could work).

I'll definitively keep saying: NO!!!