New Apple Mac ad features familiar face, Blu-ray PC adoption low

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Distinctly voiced actor Patrick Warburton plays a high-end PC in a new "Get a Mac" ad; and a new study suggests that adoption of Blu-ray players for PCs is very low.



Get a Mac with 'Puddy'



Apple this week unveiled a new "Get a Mac" ad, entitled "Top of the Line," featuring actor Patrick Warburton. Warburton is best known for playing the character David Puddy on the show Seinfeld, as well as starring in the TV series The Tick and providing voices in The Venture Bros. and Family Guy, among many other roles.



In the spot, John Hodgman's "PC" character introduces Warburton as the "top of the line PC" to a customer looking for a new computer. She wants a big screen and fast processor, which the PC says he can provide. But when the shopper asks for a computer that "just works" without viruses and other troubles, Warburton says he is unable to fulfill her needs.



The shopper, of course, chooses a Mac, but not before Warburton leaves her his card and asks her to call him when she's "ready to compromise."







Blu-ray PC adoption slow



A new study from iSuppli Corporation found that Blu-ray drives have shipped on 3.6 percent of PCs in 2009. In addition, the company predicts that adoption will only reach 16.3 percent by 2013.



"They eventually will find success," Michael Yang, senior analyst for storage and mobile memory at iSuppli, said of Blu-ray, "but during the next five years, that success will be limited in the PC segment."



The report states the two major limitations of Blu-ray are cost and a lack of a library of movies on the part of owners.



Apple's forthcoming iMac systems have been rumored to offer compelling new features, including one that would appeal to the multimedia crowd. That news has led to some speculation that Blu-ray could be coming to Apple machines. In addition, some rumors suggest iTunes 9 could have support for Blu-ray players.



«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 93
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Two new ads. Both kind of lame....



    http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/





    edit: First!
  • Reply 2 of 93
    Noooooooo!!!





    Brock effing Samson can't be a PC!!





    I have to admit, with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here and on MacRumors about how Apple's hamstringing buyers with a lack of a Blu-Ray option, I'd figured the PC adoption rate would be significantly higher. Personally, it's no BFD to me since most of the Blu-Ray's I've bought recently (Coraline, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern) all came with a digital copy. I understand if people don't have any other Blu-Ray player, but I'm kinda baffled if people use their computers as their primary entertainment viewing source (although, I do understand those using things like Minis as home entertainment servers).
  • Reply 3 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    Two new ads. Both kind of lame....



    http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/





    edit: First!





    Agreed. No energy.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    isn't apple supposed to get new tech into it's computers before Dell and HP?
  • Reply 5 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    isn't apple supposed to get new tech into it's computers before Dell and HP?



    let me correct your grammar, apparently so much trolling has affected your English



    isn't apple supposed to get new tech into its computers before Dell and HP?
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    isn't apple supposed to get new tech into it's computers before Dell and HP?



    No !



    Apple’s habit is to introduce new tech after everybody else, but to do it right, the first time it does.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    What a rubbish that ad is! Not single one to mention since "Elimination".

    OK, back to school soon, hopefully some new ideas will be here...
  • Reply 8 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    isn't apple supposed to get new tech into it's computers before Dell and HP?



    Apple usually introduces technology when the honest need, or potential use, for said technology is actually there. At this stage with Blu-Ray I imagine the only reason why it isn't available as at least an option is because of overly complicated licensing issues and digital protection requirements. The standard brought this upon itself.



    I don't think there's much reason to introduce it as a standard computer feature at this point--except perhaps in high-end computers when all the planets align properly. The only great value of Blu-Ray right now is for movies. As storage it is pretty expensive, and in most cases external storage is a much more realistic option. For the vast majority of consumers an at-home Blu-Ray player is the right choice for movie watching (I have one myself) and external storage is the best choice for backup. There just isn't demand enough to warrant the price markup as a standard option. (Note that Sony, which includes it on many of their laptops, has plenty of reason to take a hit on the hardware costs).



    Why do most people want this so badly on their laptops (and especially their desktops) anyway? I can see having access to Blu-Ray movies while traveling, but DVD is plenty good enough for watching a nice flick. Is it just so people can duplicate Blu-Ray movies?
  • Reply 9 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    Blu-ray PC adoption slow



    A new study from iSuppli Corporation found that Blu-ray drives have shipped on 3.6 percent of PCs in 2009. In addition, the company predicts that adoption will only reach 16.3 percent by 2013.



    "They eventually will find success," Michael Yang, senior analyst for storage and mobile memory at iSuppli, said of Blu-ray, "but during the next five years, that success will be limited in the PC segment."



    The report states the two major limitations of Blu-ray are cost and a lack of a library of movies on the part of owners.



    He should be more specific than to just say Blu-ray will be limited in the "PC" segment. Notebooks or desktops? Sorry Mr. Yang, but you can find desktop Blu-ray drives from many manufacturers today starting at $80, which isn't breaking the bank especially when compared to stand-alone Blu-ray players. Blu-ray drives for notebooks are about twice as expensive as ones for desktop, due to form factor. But what nonsense to suggest that Blu-ray will go nowhere in the PC segment over the next FIVE years. Five years? That's technological eternity, practically. Obviously Mr. Yang has a distorted sense of technological progression. Blu-ray drives are the next step beyond DVD drives concerning optical mediums, and it definitely will not take five years for them to catch on.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,793member
    The new ads did nothing for me. The same can be said for Blu-Ray: Zero desire to move to Blu-Ray content. I'm still happy with standard wide-screen definition. Don't even have high-definition cable yet. I'm also just as happy buying content/movies from my AppleTV.



    I figure making the leap twice was enough. (Although I did dabble in LaserDiscs)



    Audio Cassette -> CD -> digital file

    VHS Cassette -> DVD -> digital file



    I'm done.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post


    Apple usually introduces technology when the honest need, or potential use, for said technology is actually there. At this stage with Blu-Ray I imagine the only reason why it isn't available as at least an option is because of overly complicated licensing issues and digital protection requirements. The standard brought this upon itself.



    I don't think there's much reason to introduce it as a standard computer feature at this point--except perhaps in high-end computers when all the planets align properly. The only great value of Blu-Ray right now is for movies. As storage it is pretty expensive, and in most cases external storage is a much more realistic option. For the vast majority of consumers an at-home Blu-Ray player is the right choice for movie watching (I have one myself) and external storage is the best choice for backup. There just isn't demand enough to warrant the price markup as a standard option. (Note that Sony, which includes it on many of their laptops, has plenty of reason to take a hit on the hardware costs).



    Why do most people want this so badly on their laptops (and especially their desktops) anyway? I can see having access to Blu-Ray movies while traveling, but DVD is plenty good enough for watching a nice flick. Is it just so people can duplicate Blu-Ray movies?



    Instead of accusing people of being pirates in a subtle way (because god forbid they are critical of Apple), you should understand the reasoning behind it. There are people who happen to have Blu-ray players in their homes and their buy movies in Blu-ray format to enjoy it. Now, if they intend to watch that particular disc on their laptop, they cant because Steve Jobs thinks it's a bag of hurt (He should focus more on getting to know Blu-ray right instead of introducing crap like iPod HiFi) and so they are forced to either

    A) Buy a DVD version of the movie which is a waste of money and space

    B) Not buy Blu-ray at all because Steve Jobs doesnt personally like Blu-ray!



    So yeah, it's rather simple!
  • Reply 12 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post


    Why do most people want this so badly on their laptops (and especially their desktops) anyway? I can see having access to Blu-Ray movies while traveling, but DVD is plenty good enough for watching a nice flick. Is it just so people can duplicate Blu-Ray movies?



    See, I would think the exact opposite. Why would you want a Blu-ray drive in your notebook? So you can suck the battery life dry? So you can watch an HD movie on a non-HD resolution screen (excluding the 17" Mac Pro)? At least in desktops, power supply isn't a concern, many people (PC users, at least) have 24" HD-resolution monitors nowadays, and you can always hook your desktop (with all its horse power) up to gorgeous TV. Given that Blu-ray drives for desktops are less than half the price of ones for notebooks, why again would Blu-ray for notebooks make more sense? And have you watched a Blu-ray vs. a DVD? Maybe on itty-bitty notebook screens DVDs look good, but that's only because they sport resolutions less than 1920x1200 so DVDs "appear" to look good. 480p vs. 1080p, big difference in image quality.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    I always disliked the Mac ads... even when I was an Apple fan.



    They come off as demeaning to all those who use a PC. That's not the way to win customers. This set is no different. The "sleeze" feel behind the PC character is just un-inviting for Apple.

    At least I see where some of the more extreme mentalities come from.





    By the way, I have a PC, and haven't had a virus yet. Free software for AV and Firewall, and when I turn on the computer, "it just works". If you do it right, you won't have any problems at all.

    My macs however, my permissions have gotten all screwed up multiple times. Kinda sucks when you can't get into your own files and have to go fix it in disk utility (which half the time failed, so I had to fix it via terminal). Same thing as a PC though, if you do it right, you won't have any problems.



    But, a Mac can have just as many issues as a Windows based PC.



    So, when is Apple going to lodge against Linux?
  • Reply 14 of 93
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post


    let me correct your grammar, apparently so much trolling has affected your English



    isn't apple supposed to get new tech into its computers before Dell and HP?



    Hey grammar police- why is everyone that says anything different than what you think-called up for "trolling". Do us all a favor and save your inane comments for somewhere else. Geesh!
  • Reply 15 of 93
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


    I always disliked the Mac ads... even when I was an Apple fan.



    They come off as demeaning to all those who use a PC. That's not the way to win customers. This set is no different. The "sleeze" feel behind the PC character is just un-inviting for Apple.

    At least I see where some of the more extreme mentalities come from.





    So, when is Apple going to lodge against Linux?



    I agree. All those "I'm a Mac" ads for how many years yielded barely double digit percentage market share?

    And everyone agrees it was the iPhone and iPod that did that- not those adds no matter how entertaining Justin Long is. It's Justin Long that owes his career to Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I agree. All those "I'm a Mac" adds for how many years yielded barely double digit percentage market share?

    And everyone agrees it was the iPhone and iPod that did that- not those adds no matter how entertaining Justin Long is. It's Justin Long that owes his career to Apple.



    You should have to be able to spell complicated words such as "ads" or know the difference between 'adds' and 'ads' before you can troll, won't someone think of the CHILDREN?!?!?!



    Those 'ads' reflect the apple persona as much as anything teckdud.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post


    You should have to be able to spell complicated words such as "ads" or know the difference between 'adds' and 'ads' before you can troll, won't someone think of the CHILDREN?!?!?!



    Those 'ads' reflect the apple persona as much as anything teckdud.



    OOhhh- I added an extra "d" - you're such a fantastic spellchecker.

    And
    Quote:

    "Those 'ads' reflect the apple persona".



    Really? Tell us why- just don't make statements.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,560member
    These Mac ads are getting old. All they can hammer on now is "Look, PCs have more viruses". Same old, same old.



    I'm a recent PC to Mac convert (Lenovo ThinkPad X300 to 13" MacBook Pro) and I converted because of the battery life, sleek exterior design, and the challenge of a new operating system.



    In fact, it hasn't really been much of a challenge at all. I've been able to pickup and learn things on my own over the past 3 weeks and **drumroll** it isn't much different than my old X300 when running Windows 7 RC. Everything just "works" as it did on my PC and of course there are no viruses -- although I've never had a virus on any of my PCs in the past (maybe it's because I'm careful about browsing the internet or maybe it's because I always used antivirus software).



    To tell you the truth, the whole Mac vs PC in general is just getting old be it from commercials or from fanboys -- both are just go about different ways to solve our everyday computing problems and make life easier and both are perfectly fine.



    Pick your poison and drink up, but the flames from either side at the other isn't going to get us anywhere. Ford vs Chevy, BMW vs Mercedes, Ferrari vs Lamborghini, Honda vs Toyota, pfffffff!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 93
    ...They wouldn't be on the BluRay board. People who say Apple isn't interested are blind to that fact. Apple is interested or they wouldn't be there. No maybe that will change. Maybe Apple will leave the board but there is a reason they are there. Steve Jobs himself said Apple will be ready with h.264, when the final decision has been made for BluRay or HD-DVD. That's what he said. Just because he later called BluRay a "mixed bag of hurt" doesn't mean he doesn't want it. The reason Apple is on that board so they can help Sony market it in a way that everyone wins, including Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I agree. All those "I'm a Mac" ads for how many years yielded barely double digit percentage market share?

    And everyone agrees it was the iPhone and iPod that did that- not those adds no matter how entertaining Justin Long is. It's Justin Long that owes his career to Apple.



    You are so the best poster on this site.
Sign In or Register to comment.