Internet connection question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi

i just got verizon high speed internet service where they said it was up to 3 mb download...fios was not available.

anyways, my experience is that when it works, downloads top out at about 360 kb...

i called tech service and he said that you only get 10% of your internet service speed...

is this right? this sounds like suck all over it

i'm suck with the service cause they have me for 2 years!!

anyone who can advise i thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ironknee View Post

i called tech service and he said that you only get 10% of your internet service speed...

Do you know how far away you are from the exchange? I presume this service from Verizon is ADSL? "up to 3 Mb" to me implies that if you live right next to the exchange, you'll get something close to 3 Mb, but the further away you are, the lower the speed you'll get.

In terms of the raw speed you connect at and the max throughput you're likely to get, there tends to be a 10% or so overhead for error correction and the like. So if your raw speed was 3 Mb (as reported by your ADSL modem), you'd be able to get 2.7 Mb in a web browser.

Oh, and another nasty aspect of ADSL is a thing called "contention ratio", this is the number of users that share a common modem at the exchange. Obviously, each customer has their own modem in their house, but in the exchange multiple connections will come in to a single modem. In the UK, a contention ratio of 50:1 used to be common (not sure what it is now). The upshot is that all users on a given modem at the exchange share the bandwidth. If the contention ratio is 50:1 and you are all connected at a raw speed of 3 Mb, and you all try to max-out your connection simultaneously, the bandwidth is shared equally across all 50 users, resulting in 60 kbps each (although your ADSL modem will still report a raw link speed of 3 Mb).

I don't know anything about American consumer protection laws, so I have no idea how you can proceed if you've wound up with a service vastly different from what you were expecting. I also don't know how you'd go about finding out how far from an exchange you are, but I suggest a google searching session.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Do you know how far away you are from the exchange? I presume this service from Verizon is ADSL? "up to 3 Mb" to me implies that if you live right next to the exchange, you'll get something close to 3 Mb, but the further away you are, the lower the speed you'll get.

In terms of the raw speed you connect at and the max throughput you're likely to get, there tends to be a 10% or so overhead for error correction and the like. So if your raw speed was 3 Mb (as reported by your ADSL modem), you'd be able to get 2.7 Mb in a web browser.

Oh, and another nasty aspect of ADSL is a thing called "contention ratio", this is the number of users that share a common modem at the exchange. Obviously, each customer has their own modem in their house, but in the exchange multiple connections will come in to a single modem. In the UK, a contention ratio of 50:1 used to be common (not sure what it is now). The upshot is that all users on a given modem at the exchange share the bandwidth. If the contention ratio is 50:1 and you are all connected at a raw speed of 3 Mb, and you all try to max-out your connection simultaneously, the bandwidth is shared equally across all 50 users, resulting in 60 kbps each (although your ADSL modem will still report a raw link speed of 3 Mb).

I don't know anything about American consumer protection laws, so I have no idea how you can proceed if you've wound up with a service vastly different from what you were expecting. I also don't know how you'd go about finding out how far from an exchange you are, but I suggest a google searching session.

hi

sorry for the delay... lot's of crap

thank you for your help...

i don't know if it's adsl or not... it is a dsl...

i am in downtown brooklyn...i should be close to something...

i still only get 360kbs as the highest throughput ... that is 10% of 3mbs... fios is not available in my neighborhood and the alternative is timewarner cable...

so, if the verizon tech guy says ALL internet connections run at 10% of their promoted speed (EVEN cable) here is a question...

i admit i was stealing wifi by just turning on my wifi all summer... and with the right connection, i got 1mb download on movies, files, etc and it was sweet...

so what was it? not fios cause not in my neighborhood, must be timewarner at 10 Mbps download /512 kbps upload

still 10% of promoted speed...

anyways... if you're looking to buy internet/tv/phone service...be careful... verizon has me for a 2 year contract...if i want to cancel they charge me the full 2 years...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    It depends HIGHLY on what you are measuring. Verizon can only provide and guarantee 3 Mbit connection between you and them, they can't be responsible for connection speeds between you and the entire internet. It can depend just as much on the destination you're downloading from, and what their bandwidth maximums and current usage are.

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

Try that speed test. I pay for 5 Mbit cable, and I score around 5000 on that test, so it's pretty accurate.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    i got

Download Speed: 2862 kbps (357.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 724 kbps (90.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

i got

Download Speed: 2862 kbps (357.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 724 kbps (90.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

That's what they sold you on. You're getting around 3000 kbps, or 3 megabit. Remember that internet connections are rated in mega*bits*, not mega*bytes*. There's 8 bits to a byte, so an 8 megabit connection would get you 1 megabyte of download bandwidth.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wow...thanks

that sounds like it's a lie but damn...

thanks again... that made me feel better
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

wow...thanks

that sounds like it's a lie but damn...

thanks again... that made me feel better

Consider this... average download speeds on dial-up are around 2-4 kilobytes per second, you're getting 360 kilobytes. 90 times better than dial-up isn't too bad.