What the Heck is Wrong with iTunes?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Every iteration of iTunes has been sluggish and unresponsive. It seems to get worse over time. I am not a programer so I am sure there is a logical exploitation. Can someone break it down to layman's terms?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    Every iteration of iTunes has been sluggish and unresponsive. It seems to get worse over time. I am not a programer so I am sure there is a logical exploitation. Can someone break it down to layman's terms?



    I've seen quite a few posts from different folk in different places complaining about iTunes performance, and honestly, I don't get it.



    What Mac are you running iTunes on, what OS and which iTunes version? What specifically is sluggish about it?



    On my 15" MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM running 10.5.8 and iTunes 8.2.1, I don't have any performance issues. I've got a medium-large library with 7110 tracks.



    How many Smart Playlists do you have? I've heard that can be an issue. I've got 22.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    I've seen quite a few posts from different folk in different places complaining about iTunes performance, and honestly, I don't get it.



    What Mac are you running iTunes on, what OS and which iTunes version? What specifically is sluggish about it?



    On my 15" MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM running 10.5.8 and iTunes 8.2.1, I don't have any performance issues. I've got a medium-large library with 7110 tracks.



    How many Smart Playlists do you have? I've heard that can be an issue. I've got 22.



    I've got the same setup as you do but with fewer tracks. The only system difference is that I am running SN. That is not an issue as iTunes has been a slug from day 1.



    Specifically, album view takes forever to load. Scrolling through the list of covers causes hiccups, kind of the way that scrolling through thousands of photos used to be in iPhoto. Applications is even worse. It is as if iTunes is not native, but a bad port from some other system.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    I've got the same setup as you do but with fewer tracks. The only system difference is that I am running SN.



    Do you mean SL, as in 10.6?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    Specifically, album view takes forever to load. Scrolling through the list of covers causes hiccups



    I don't use Album View, so I guess that's it. I just tried it and I wouldn't say it took "forever" to load (I've got 852 "albums", many with just one track from iTunes or eMusic downloads, and all but two of them have artwork), but there were hiccups. Image loading could definitely be faster; hopefully iTunes is next on the list to go Cocoa and this process will include grand-central style optimisations.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Do you mean SL, as in 10.6?




    Yes, I mean Snow Leopard (SL). Sorry about that.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    Every iteration of iTunes has been sluggish and unresponsive. It seems to get worse over time. I am not a programer so I am sure there is a logical exploitation. Can someone break it down to layman's terms?



    I think its the fact that it is still Carbon, not Cocoa, and there is too much added other functionality... iPhone stuff, And Movie/Apple TV stuff. I think those things should be pulled out of iTunes and put into their own Apps. Like iTunes being for Music/Music Store, Podcasts, Audiobooks, and all the iPhone/App store stuff Put into a kind of "iPhone hub" app of some kind, and all the Movie/Movie store/Apple TV stuff integrated into QuickTime X player. I think that is a more natural way of having things.... just my two cents worth.



    And all re-written in Cocoa 2.0.... of course!!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisj2110 View Post


    I think its the fact that it is still Carbon, not Cocoa, and there is too much added other functionality... iPhone stuff, And Movie/Apple TV stuff. I think those things should be pulled out of iTunes and put into their own Apps. Like iTunes being for Music/Music Store, Podcasts, Audiobooks, and all the iPhone/App store stuff Put into a kind of "iPhone hub" app of some kind, and all the Movie/Movie store/Apple TV stuff integrated into QuickTime X player. I think that is a more natural way of having things.... just my two cents worth.



    And all re-written in Cocoa 2.0.... of course!!



    If they fix iTunes with even a few of your suggestions, this will be an excellent special event on the 9th.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    How about iTunes written to use open cl.



    Think about how quick cds could be ripped. And if they include DVD ripping open cl will really shine.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisj2110 View Post


    I think its the fact that it is still Carbon, not Cocoa, and there is too much added other functionality... iPhone stuff, And Movie/Apple TV stuff. I think those things should be pulled out of iTunes and put into their own Apps. Like iTunes being for Music/Music Store, Podcasts, Audiobooks, and all the iPhone/App store stuff Put into a kind of "iPhone hub" app of some kind, and all the Movie/Movie store/Apple TV stuff integrated into QuickTime X player. I think that is a more natural way of having things.... just my two cents worth.



    And all re-written in Cocoa 2.0.... of course!!



    I'm starting to wonder if the excessive amount of calling home is also impacting iTunes. Every time you turn around iTunes is calling home. When you turn it on it calls home. Whenever you connect an iPod or iPhone it calls home. Whenever you sync to the AppleTV it calls home. Every six to ten minutes it calls home (if its doing anything or not). And it connects to its AirTune speakers during each of those six to minute calls home to mother. Between iTunes and the OS you end up with a lot of unwanted waiting and beach balls while it waits for the other end to respond.



    That insisting on connecting to AirTunes speakers every six to ten minutes is really bugging me. The AppleTV can not walk and talk at the same time. If I am trying to use my AppleTV when iTunes attempts to connect to it (remember it happens every six to ten minutes) the AppleTV User Interface freezes. Playback continues, but the audio and video stop while the AppleTV and iTunes are talking. Finally iTunes has a jealous fit and disconnects itself from the AppleTV while loudly complaining that the AppleTV is paying attention to someone else.



    This is a problem with iTunes 8 or Apples configuration control. It first appeared last fall when 8 first came out. Than Apple fixed it in one of the early updates. But then it came back with Junes update. It's beginning to look like someone on the iTunes development staff is out to get the AppleTV.
Sign In or Register to comment.