Microsoft Killing Open GL?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Will the future og high end 3D and Gameing be in the hands of Micosoft?

The Register is running a story about how Microsoft has aquired key 3D patents from SGI. 3D technology is not just for video games and immersive systems, but it is also part of the infrastructure that supports important sectors of the economy, such as design visualization and scientific imaging. Such critical infrastructure should be based on open standards, but what happens if Microsoft starts an new round of lawsuits in this arena? What will happen to Mesa3D? It is often very difficult to obtain Apple support for 3D devices, and I wonder what this deal means for Apple users.

Will the future og high end 3D and Gaming be in the hands of Micosoft?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    And this has what to do with future hardware?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>And this has what to do with future hardware?</strong><hr></blockquote>

this is getting ridiculous with people going out of their way to say whether or not a topic belongs in what forum.

let the moderators decide.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>The Register is running a story about how Microsoft has aquired key 3D patents from SGI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I read that the patents in question were relatively unimportant, and it wouldn't affect OpenGL's use of them as OpenGL already has a permanent license. This acquisition just means that DirectX is no longer in violation of the patents.

I don't suppose anybody has any really detailed information about the patents in question?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I think we do need one OpenGL thread in Future Hardware since I often forget to go to the General Discussion...so there.

Oh and it does affect future hardware...so there...

...okay I'm lazy...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Oh, so Direct X infringed on some patents, and M$ just decided to buy up the patents rather than pay the developers royalities?

That company is a damn snakepit of vipers ready to do the work of Satan on a moment's notice. What a vile corporation. I can't wait for another democrat to get elected so they can sick the justice department on M$ again.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    It is too bad you can't sue a company for patent infringement in the past... corporate law has got to be one of the most heinous subjects to study.