Finder problems Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just realized that the Finder has a weird problem when displaying files over my SMB network. Leopard has no issues but Snow Leopard does.

Small files are sometimes displayed at 0KB when infact they are over 16KB. The inaccuracy is intermittent and this becomes a problem when you try to open those file while being displayed at 0KB, the computer will not open it, of corse.

Sometimes my fonts, which reside on a local Windows Server and are shared over SMB, also demonstrate the same issues.

As I pointed-out earlier, this does not seem to happen with Leopard for I was using this format for 12 months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I just realized that the Finder has a weird problem when displaying files over my SMB network. Leopard has no issues but Snow Leopard does.

Case-insensitive file names cause SMB problems. In my home directory on a Linux machine I have both mail/ and Mail/ subdirs; when I connected to that, the Finder got hopelessly confused, listed them both as "mail" lower case, and kept alternately opening one and closing the other in an infinite loop, which caused the rest of the files to jump around as the scrollbar continually resized itself.

I had to shell in to linux and rename one of the dirs to unwedge it. It's still the case that my "Emacs" file and "emacs" directory get conflated by the Finder ("Emacs" appears twice and I can't access the directory at all).

This was not a problem with Leopard; although it didn't always display the names with distinct case, it at least allowed access to both without confusing the two of them.