need to replace HDD in 24" iMac How do I do it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My HDD in my 24" iMac needs to be replaced.

What are my options?

What kind of drive should I get and how large? What is the largest drive an older (2years) iMac 24" can take.

I originally had a 500GB drive and 2MB RAM (this was most available, so maybe you can infer my model type from this)

Can you suggest HDD make and model numbers and connection type?

thanks,

vic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I'm very interested! I would love to find out more inforamtion related to this topic. Thanks in advance.

comparatif simulation pret personnel en ligne taux credit Faire un pret immobilier en ligne avec un bon creditcomparatif simulation pret personnel en ligne taux credit
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The good news: you can have any 3.5" hard drive, even the new 2TB ones

The bad news: It involves carefully tearing the thing completely apart and remembering which of the 10,000 different length screws go where.

Ive designed it to look pretty, not be useful for more than 18 months. Most of all, they want it to become obsolete sooner so you have to buy another one.

http://www.amfiteatar.org/content/view/155/57/lang,en/

http://home.comcast.net/~woojo/DFFA5...sassembly.html
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You need suction cups strong enough to hold a piece of glass, and a room with no dust.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I'd just buy an external drive like this and make it my 'start up disk' in system preferences.

Not the most elegant solution but it will work well. Disassembling an iMac is not for the faint of heart.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The good news: you can have any 3.5" hard drive, even the new 2TB ones

thanks ....

here is some info on my older iMac

Apple iMac

Part No. Z0FC001N1

Serial No. W87510AUZCT

Model No. A1225

Assembled in China

what is the largest HDD that I can replace the original 500 GB HDD with, on this model?

which 500GB HDD would you suggest as a replacement?

thanks,

vic