How to put .ac3 audio in video

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a .mkv video file with Russian .ac3 audio but separately I have a .ac3 English file and I couldn't find a free program to put the English AC3 audio file in the .mkv video.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I first mentioned for a free program but I would be willing to pay for a program too
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think you're going to have to look at doom9.org or something like that. I don't know how many Mac programs out there help you manage multiple audio tracks.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know how many Mac programs out there help you manage multiple audio tracks.

I would try (FREE) GarageBand to compose and render the soundtrack, then add it to the video in iMovie or Final Cut.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I would try (FREE) GarageBand to compose and render the soundtrack, then add it to the video in iMovie or Final Cut.

It might depend on your objective, if you wanted to just replace the audio track, then Garage Band & iMovie can do it, I don't know if iMovie can export to MKV, again, depending on what the person wanted.

I assumed the original poster wanted to have multiple sets of audio tracks in the same file, where you can pick which language to listen to on playback. Wouldn't iMovie just bust it down to having just one stereo mix in the final output? I think the full Final Cut allows you to render out multiple stereo tracks, but that's unrealistic, it's expensive and not an easy program to learn.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Sorry for taking so long to get back i thought it would email me when there was a reply but it never did but I'll take another look at doing it with iMovie but I have already tried to and couldn't find a way. I have tried with Final Cut Express but don't know a whole lot about and was wondering if there was an easier way.

To clarify things, I have a .ac3 audio track that doesn't need to be changed in any way (especially not downgraded) but needs to replace the audio track that is contained in the .mkv file. The one in there right now is doing me no good because it's in Russian so I don't even need to keep that one.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    You could also try to use ffmpeg.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

You could also try to use ffmpeg.

Man, is there anything that does what this does but doesn't require a doctorate in computer science to use?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Man, is there anything that does what this does but doesn't require a doctorate in computer science to use?

Sure: have someone do it for you (someone with a doctorate in computer science).