Highlight of Apple's Sept. 9 event predicted to be Steve Jobs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With so many seemingly concrete rumors tied to Apple's Sept. 9 event, one Wall Street analyst doesn't expect any big surprises from the iPod maker, except the appearance of the company's co-founder.



In a note to investors Tuesday, Piper Jaffray Senior Research Analyst Gene Munster speculates that Steve Jobs will take the stage at Apple's iPod event next week and announce a new lineup with built-in cameras. Rumors of camera-equipped iPods have persisted for months, with leaked photos of numerous third-party cases suggesting the speculation will prove accurate.



However, given that the new iPods are part of an ever shrinking segment of Apple's lineup, Munster believes that investors on Wall Street will not be wowed by Apple's announcements, Jobs or no Jobs.



"We believe investors will view the new products as a non-event, as iPod growth slows and the segment becomes less of an investable theme," Munster said. "However, we also believe Steve Jobs will be present at the event, a first since his health-related leave of absence, which would likely be a slight positive for shares of AAPL and the first public confirmation of Jobs' health since his return to the company."



Munster also reiterates that he does not believe Apple's long-rumored tablet will make an appearance on Sept. 9. AppleInsider's own sources have insisted the 10-inch, touchscreen device will make its debut in early 2010.



"While we continue to believe that Apple is currently developing a new operating system and enclosure for a tablet," Munster said, "we do not believe it is ready to go to market yet. Apple will likely release the tablet in early (calendar year) 2010."



In a separate note published Monday, Munster also predicted that Apple will eventually announce a new Apple TV tied to an iTunes subscription model. Given the negotiations that must take place in order to allow customers to subscribe to TV shows, he does not expect that product to debut at the Sept. 9 event.



However, he does believe that the company will debut a new version of iTunes with social networking features, as well as changes to the iTunes Store. He speculates that new offerings could include more options on more devices for TV and movie viewers, and "new music features with richer album artwork." Last month, rumors of an iTunes 9 upgrade began to circle, with reports suggesting the music player could integrate with Web sites such as Facebook and Last.fm.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    you mean it's not me being the first poster?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    you mean it's not me being the first poster?



    Congratulations then.. Anyway, I'm betting that the tablet will not be a giant iPod Touch but more of something we have never seen / expected.. just like the launch of the 1st iPhone..
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Hopefully iTunes 9 is 64bit.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    "While we continue to believe that Apple is currently developing a new operating system and enclosure for a tablet,..."



    Does that mean a third version of OSX? Desktop Lite or iPhone Beefy?



    Maybe a version of OSX mobile where you can install desktop Apps like Pshop either through wi-fi remote install or the charging cable and not be limited to what's in the App Store?







    iPhone Beefy, they should call it that, or the iBeefy. Not the iHunk or iChunk. Where's the Beefy?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Hopefully iTunes 9 will be able to pull contact info from Facebook/Gmail/et cetera the same way the Palm Pre can.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    While iPods themselves are far less interesting, the Touch, apps and iTunes in general have never been more interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    takeotakeo Posts: 416member
    I wonder if Steve is training for the event by eating steak for breakfast everyday and a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dessert. Seriously though... I hope he's doing well and looking better. If this is true... it'll be great to see him back where he belongs. Even if the announcements are not so exciting.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post


    Hopefully iTunes 9 is 64bit.



    Actually, Gene Munster predicted it'll be 65.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post


    Hopefully iTunes 9 is 64bit.



    This +1000.



    I don't care about Blu-Ray, or Facebook, or a subscription pricing model.



    I would simply like to look in my Activity Monitor and see iTunes - Intel (64 bit)
  • Reply 10 of 25
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    ... it'll be great to see him back where he belongs. Even if the announcements are not so exciting.



    I certainly agree with you that on stage is where Jobs belongs.



    But it seems very unlikely that Jobs would squander first appearance with a boring announcement. My suspicion is that if it's boring, he'll just be present, not center stage.



    Though it might just as easily be the case that he takes the stage just because he feels like it. That's usually the reason he does something like this, right?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Wouldn't it be superb if Apple's tablet came out just before, oh, I don't know, Windoze Se7en?



    The buzz would be on the Macbook Touch and effectively stymie a great deal of the Windoze hype.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    If it was somewhat expected that the tablet would debut on Sept. 9 it would kind of blunt the wow factor for Jobs' return to the spotlight. As such, the fact that it doesn't appear anything of significance is going to be announced hardly rules out that happening.



    Seems to me that the next evolutionary step in the iPod's development is a Touch with a larger screen. Looking at how Apple has evolved the Touch, it is very possible that the plan is to add a new version to the iPod family sporting a larger screen, checking in at a higher price point. An iPod Touch based around a 5" to 7" screen could certainly be ready for Sept. 9 and could serve as Jobs' one-more-thing. Really, if such a device were to be unveiled, why bother calling it a tablet. It would simply be a Touch only more enjoyable to use as a portable gaming unit, a movie viewer, a browser.



    Price it roughly $100 north of the current top-of-the-line iPod and you couldn't build them fast enough. More importantly from a marketing perspective, it would serve to give Jobs' return that extra something that would enhance his image.



    Is there a single down side to doing this for Apple? Isn't it rather logical and obvious yet not what is being reported in the works. As such, there is a high probability of it happening. I have no inside info but if this makes so much sense, what are the chances that Jobs and his capable staff have not considered it. I for one would buy this thing sooner than later. That's the bottom line.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    .....
  • Reply 14 of 25
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    Seems to me that the next evolutionary step in the iPod's development is a Touch with a larger screen. Looking at how Apple has evolved the Touch, it is very possible that the plan is to add a new version to the iPod family sporting a larger screen, checking in at a higher price point. An iPod Touch based around a 5" to 7" screen could certainly be ready for Sept. 9 and could serve as Jobs' one-more-thing.



    I think it would be more difficult than you describe. You mention that a large iPod with multi touch and apps, and A/V abiltities, but the one thing that would be difficult is Apps. On a larger screen they would have to do something to either (a) have them fit a larger screen, so basically increasing the size., or (b) keep the app windows the same size, but then have a way to navigate and switch between them. And since currently it is one app at a time, then this doesn;t really fit in as a large iPod touch anymore. If they just make the app windows bigger, then this might look a little weird (fisher price)?



    You are correct though, Jobs and Co. have considered tablets, media players, and everything else under the sun, and I have faith they will come to market with the right product. We just have to be patient and let them do it right. Rushed products = failure.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    I wonder if Steve is training for the event by eating steak for breakfast everyday and a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dessert. Seriously though... I hope he's doing well and looking better. If this is true... it'll be great to see him back where he belongs. Even if the announcements are not so exciting.



    I'd love to have him push some buttons by coming out in a movie 'fat suit'.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post


    This +1000.



    I don't care about Blu-Ray, or Facebook, or a subscription pricing model.



    I would simply like to look in my Activity Monitor and see iTunes - Intel (64 bit)



    I admire your humble pleasures.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    ... why bother calling it a tablet. It would simply be a Touch only more enjoyable to use as a portable gaming unit, a movie viewer, a browser.



    How about the 'touch Venti', or does Starbucks own that?

    'touch Grande' then.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    I wonder if Steve is training for the event by eating steak for breakfast everyday and a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dessert.



    yeah so after cancer and a new liver he can die of a heart attack. hate to say it folks but get used to the fact that he's going to look like crap for the rest of his life. not skin and bones but he's certainly not going to be some beefy slub with a beer belly. or even look like he could run a 5k.



    as for him appearing. I don't think it will happen the way folks think. He might come on the stage and say hello and then pass the announcements over to Phil and the gang. or he might be a 'one more thing' pop in at the end. but the days of Steve doing the keynote as the only guy on stage or even the guy 90% on stage are over. Consider that he was back on campus for WWDC and nada as a big clue (and that was a bigger deal than this little press announcement)
  • Reply 19 of 25
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    as for him appearing. I don't think it will happen the way folks think. He might come on the stage and say hello and then pass the announcements over to Phil and the gang. or he might be a 'one more thing' pop in at the end. but the days of Steve doing the keynote as the only guy on stage or even the guy 90% on stage are over. Consider that he was back on campus for WWDC and nada as a big clue (and that was a bigger deal than this little press announcement)



    He's going to be the guest musician (with Paul McCartney as his sideman).
  • Reply 20 of 25
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    I'd love to have him push some buttons by coming out in a movie 'fat suit'.



    Just imagine what it would do to the stock price if he did a Mr. Creosote?
Sign In or Register to comment.