iMac to have two hard drives?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry if this was covered already but here's a thought, would it be possible to remove the optical drive and put in another hard drive?

That would be cool cause i don't use it that much and it doesn't like alot of my blank disks anyway.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Maybe. A 2.5" notebook drive ought to fit where the slim optical drive goes. I don't even know if the iMac's optical drive is SATA or not.

Doing this would be a big fat pain in the butt. Just get an external drive.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I do have an external drive, actual I have three 500gb. You're right though--it would be a pain, but it would be cool.

I do want to change my internal hard drive in the near future, just taken up photography as a hobby and using iPhoto. Losing gigs every so often cause I shoot in RAW. I have the white iMac, so I don't think it's as hard to change like the current silver ones.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by big_ears View Post

I do have an external drive, actual I have three 500gb. You're right though--it would be a pain, but it would be cool.

I do want to change my internal hard drive in the near future, just taken up photography as a hobby and using iPhoto. Losing gigs every so often cause I shoot in RAW. I have the white iMac, so I don't think it's as hard to change like the current silver ones.

If you're gonna open it up, it would be easy enough to wedge a HDD in that space... it may be an old style ATA connector though. (Rather than SerialATA.)

As for the complexity of opening it up... the G5 iMacs, and the first Intel ones were EASY to get into. The later White iMacs are as difficult as the aluminum ones... requiring removal of the LCD panel to get access to the drives. (HDD and Optical) Easy enough, with patience, but a lot of disassembly.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    If I was going to cram anything else inside my iMac (RIP) it would've been more fans, or an ice-pack!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I'm pretty sure it's the first Intel iMac--i remember getting excited about bootcamp and not have to give up CounterStrike (fps game).

I'm thinking of just replacing my 250mb with a 1TB one. Any suggestions on a brand + model for a quick seek time? I've read there are some models that are even faster than going the 10,000rpm route.