Question about Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I bought my iMac about a year ago from today and was wondering if the Mac OS X Snow Leopard will run perfectly on my iMac.

It is an Intel-Based Mac (2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo) and has ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics. It also has 4GB of RAM (2x2GB 800 MHZ).

Will my Mac be able to use all the features that Snow Leopard has to offer? Like the 64-Bit feature, etc.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Perfectly? No one can guarantee that! But generally, you've got all the specs to run it. Not sure about the 64-bit thing... maybe someone with knowledge about that will chime in.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Perfectly? No one can guarantee that! But generally, you've got all the specs to run it. Not sure about the 64-bit thing... maybe someone with knowledge about that will chime in.

64-bit processing will only make a difference with applications that support it. Very few currently do, afaik. But it's hailed as the way of the future. So your Snow Leopard Mac is future-proof.

But I wouldn't install Snow Leopard just yet! Too many serious bugs for my liking! Just look around at boards like this. I'd wait for OSX.6.1 at least, OSX.6.2 preferably, before installing it on my main machines. Even Apple reseller sales people recommend not installing it yet! That's saying something, imo.

BTW, and FYI: Leopard is already a fully 64-bit processing capable system! Has been from day 1!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simplyfresh View Post

I bought my iMac about a year ago from today and was wondering if the Mac OS X Snow Leopard will run perfectly on my iMac.

It is an Intel-Based Mac (2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo) and has ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics. It also has 4GB of RAM (2x2GB 800 MHZ).

Will my Mac be able to use all the features that Snow Leopard has to offer? Like the 64-Bit feature, etc.?

Snow Leopard should run well on this system. I have it running on a lower specced iMac with no discernible issues.

As for running the 64bit kernel that will depend on the model. An iMac8.1 ( check in system profiiler) should run it in 64bit mode, whereas an iMac 7.1 will not despite having the 64 bit EFI.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I'd wait for OSX.6.1 at least, OSX.6.2

Any rumors yet about when the first patch will come out? It seems like it didn't take long for 10.5.1 after the introduction of Leopard.