Snow Leopard touchscreen "evidence," trademarked Apple chat bubbles

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new report alleges that a large on-screen digital keyboard could be a sign that Snow Leopard sets the stage for Apple's upcoming tablet device; and Apple rejected an App Store submission for its chat bubbles.

"Evidence" of Snow Leopard's possible touchscreen connection

Snow Leopard features a new, larger on-screen software keyboard that is accessed more easily than in Leopard. The soft keyboard can also be expanded to take up the entire width of the screen. The new operating system also features the publicized "Expose" feature, which allows users to easily switch between different open windows within the same application with a finger-sized preview pane.

Cult of Mac sees these additions as signs that Snow Leopard, or a version of it, could play a significant part in Apple's long-anticipated, yet-to-be-announced touchscreen tablet device.

"Snow Leopard includes a big virtual keyboard that looks clearly designed for typing on a touchscreen," the report states. "It’s a big, bold version of the iPhone’s virtual keyboard with large keys that scream 'type me!'"

To see the keyboard in Snow Leopard, go to System Preferences and choose Keyboard, click the box "Show Keyboard & Character Viewer in menu bar," and then enable "Show Keyboard Viewer" in the menu bar option on the top right of your screen.

What operating system the device might run is unclear, though sources have told AppleInsider that the much-anticipated tablet will sport a 10-inch screen and debut in early 2010.

Developer blasts Apple for App Store troubles

In a profanity filled, not safe for work rant, developer Joe Stump said an update to his application Chess Wars was denied because the chat bubbles in the software were too similar to those in the official iPhone SMS application created by Apple.

Stump said he was upset because of a lack of communication from Apple. He alleged that he tried to reach out to the company after "weeks" of silence. The application was updated in an attempt to fix "show stopping bugs" that were only discovered after the software was initially released.

Stump said an Apple representative told him that the chat bubbles used in the iPhone SMS software are trademarked. The employee reportedly told him that he could make the bubbles "less shiny" to be in compliance.

This latest example joins a number of incidents in recent months in which developers and pundits have become publicly critical of Apple's App Store policies and alleged lack of clear communication

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Stump is an idiot. If part of your app copies the look and feel of one of Apples apps then don't expect it to pass muster.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Stump is an idiot.

and apple, obviously, even more so...
  • Reply 3 of 52
    The OS has had an on-screen keyboard for some time. Improving it means nothing accept that it needed improving. This is neither evidence nor hint of a touchscreen device

As for the developer, it seems that ripping off Apple's intellectual property is reason enough for rejection. It seems the fix was simple enough. I honestly do not understand the hoopla over this. Also, how is it that the submitted app was full of "show-stopping" bugs? Why was the developer in such a rush? I am getting tired of these half-baked attempts at a media grab every time a developer gets his nose bent out of shape. The madness has to end.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    This is ridiculous, Apple wants to retain rights to the look and feel of their iPhone.

The developers who wish to have consistency on the platform between their product and the phone. This is generally in the OS developer's best interest as well, all of them have look and feel guidelines for consistency.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Apple from extending to all iPhone products a license to use certain Apple trademarks to keep a consistent look and feel; but disallow the use of it on outside platforms.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Apple has been designing for touch for a while I feel.

If they are going to use Snow Leopard, then how do you model a command click or control (right) click using touch? especially in the dock where a press and hold does something different to a right click. Some interesting questions to answer.

The one thing which annoys me about the new software keyboard is that you can no longer change the font, which means it is a little harder to find out how to type certain characters using Dingbat typefaces.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:

Stump is an idiot. If part of your app copies the look and feel of one of Apples apps then don't expect it to pass muster.

i was thinking the same thing. i'm pretty sure that use of trademarked logos, images etc was in the developers rules from the start.

and the employee actually gave him exact info on how to change things so avoid the issue. and not just 'rejected for use of trademarked items' and left him in the cold to figure out what they were talking about.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

This is ridiculous, Apple wants to retain rights to the look and feel of their iPhone.

The developers who wish to have consistency on the platform between their product and the phone. This is generally in the OS developer's best interest as well, all of them have look and feel guidelines for consistency..

+++

Major league retarded on Apple's part.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    the developer is trying to get press so more people will buy his app. its about that simple, IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Both the developer and Apple come off sounding bad.

But, 1: it should never take 6 weeks to hear back. Hell, it should never take longer than 2.

And 2: you can't Trademark UI elements. Trademark doesn't work that way.

Apple can certainly refuse UI for whatever reasons it feels like. But Trademark doesn't enter into it.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Stump said an Apple representative told him that the chat bubbles used in the iPhone SMS software are trademarked. The employee reportedly told him that he could make the bubbles "less shiny" to be in compliance.

Or he could choose to make his bubbles more wet looking... or how about more oily in appearance? Perhaps somewhat more liquidly looking?? Then again he could go with more glassy appearance??? Hey, what about icy looking yea I think he'd be fine if the chat bubbles looked more icy...

Apple you continue to outdo yourself!
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

I would have expected the Apple text bubble message display to be a standard part of the Cocoa Touch API for use by anyone.

What a shame that it isn't! Maybe the guy should use swords as the backgrounds, like a Knight's sword, pointing right or left according to who wrote. Fits quite well with "Chess Wars" I think.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Actually, I view this as evidence of Apple NOT incorporating touch into Snow Leopard, as that keyboard looks like they spent 5 minutes on it.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    He should use little fluffy clouds instead of shiny bubbles.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

Actually, I view this as evidence of Apple NOT incorporating touch into Snow Leopard, as that keyboard looks like they spent 5 minutes on it.

The bigger problem is the size of the keyboard. The onscreen keyboard is a full Apple keyboard with num pad. I displayed it on my 24" display and put my fingers on it as if to type. Very comfortable fit on a 24" display. Not even thinkable on a 10".
  • Reply 15 of 52
    First this guy is a HOTHEAD

BUT, he does have 1 point, it took too long for communication, or did it? Maybe Apple could build a queue system. Now serving number 70,001, damn I'm 99,000 in the App submission queue. Atleast it would give an expectation of how long the wait might be???

The infringing Graphic is too bad, especially since they didn't seem to catch it on the prior submissions, unless it wasn't present during those submissions??

Overall, guy went off the deep end prematurely, should have attempted contact earlier (why'd he wait soooo long)

Apple should have contacted about infringement sooner (exception, see my queue comment)

Other posters seem to jump to conclusions and demonize quickly 'AssUME'ing they 'know'

• Reply 16 of 52
    I don't usually post, but there are a lot of apps in the App Store that have that same iChat bubble look. Here's a few.

FakeSMS Celebrity Texting

BeeJive IM

Tweetie

Facebook (looks almost exactly like Messages.app)

Also, BeeJive IM even uses iChat/Messages sounds!

Why aren't those apps banned from the App Store?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

To see the keyboard in Snow Leopard...

Was a graphic too difficult to include in the writeup?
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Who cares about a little developer. Kill him, or not, doesn't matter.

Point is the tablet will take the world by storm. It will be the new cool gadget the world has been waiting for. It will increase Apple's market share of the PC business even more.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    The most serious (and fixable) problem with the review process is the utter lack of communication with the developer as the app is being reviewed. It's offensive.

That said, I have little sympathy for an inexperience PHP programmer who clearly has trouble acting like a professional. If you ship multiple show-stopping bugs not once but in two consecutive releases then you clearly don't know what you're doing. He knows fulll-well he copied Apple's iChat bubbles pixel-for-pixel yet he has the gall to waste the reviewer's time asking what his chat feature should look like. If you can't act like a professional, Joe, don't expect to be treated like one.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    oh neat...I just noticed it's 4:20AM.