more memory because of snow leopard?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i just put in 4 gigs of memory in a 2007 imac 24 inch 2.33 core 2. this mac is only supposed to accept 3 gigs total. i don't know if this is because of snow leopard but i think so. shows up as 4 gigs in about this mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

this mac is only supposed to accept 3 gigs total.

Are you sure? Where do you get that impression from?

I don't think that's affected by software.

SL should give you more free space, but not more memory.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

i just put in 4 gigs of memory in a 2007 imac 24 inch 2.33 core 2. this mac is only supposed to accept 3 gigs total. i don't know if this is because of snow leopard but i think so. shows up as 4 gigs in about this mac.

AFAIK some early 2006-2007 ( Tiger & Leopard ) iMacs only supported 3 gigs of ram. When I upgraded from 2 gigs it was cheaper to install 2x2 rather 1x2 and 1x1 so I have 4 gigs as well. I've been told that SL will allow my Mac to use all 4 gigs and have seen conformation of this on other forums .... here's hoping that's true ... will update OS next week.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    My April 2009 MBP (on OSX.5.8) has run on 4GB of RAM since day 1.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    The following machines...

iMac (Late 2006)

MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo)

MacBook (Late 2006)

Mac mini (Mid 2007)

...only support up to 3GB of RAM, and it's a limitation of the hardware, as different machines with the same software don't necessarily have that same issue. It's possible that Snow Leopard is aware of the existence of 4GB of RAM in the machine, but will still only utilize 3GB.

If you're not sure, try opening the Activity Monitor (search in Spotlight if you don't know where to find it), and view the memory usage during heavy workloads. It's possible that the machine will never exceed 3GB used, even though there's another gigabyte available, simply because the hardware can't properly address it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

32-bit OSes and computers can utilize up to 4 GB of RAM. The OS reserves 1 GB of address space for shared memory devices such as video. Thus leaving only 3 GB address space remaining to use for applications.

Leopard (and Windows XP) "displayed" that only 3 GB RAM was available, which is true, but misleading. MS changed the display in Vista to show it can see the full 4 GB. Snow Leopard also changed the display. Thus, it seems like Snow Leopard increased the memory it can use, but this is just a display change.

I have a mid-2007, 24 inch, 2.4Gh iMac, and an older MacBook. I've tested this on both and can see clear performance increases as I change from 2 GB to 3 GB to 4 GB Ram. The same performance increases are noticable when I use my bootcamp Win XP as well.

[Before anyone jumps on me - I personally choose to use Apple, but I get paid to teach Windows and Linux classes at the college. "... the school pays me to use Windows." ]