Drag and drop URLs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At times, I drag and drop a URL onto my desktop or a file to save that site. Most of the time, drag and drop works. But, at times, it doesn't. The URL doesn't 'stick' to the desktop. Then, if I really want that URL, I'll copy and paste it into a TextEdit file. That's awkward. Is there a way to ALWAYS be able to drag and drop those pesky URLs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    I don't do it often, but it hasn't failed me. I just grab the little icon next to the URL and the text comes with it. I assume you do that as well. But, just for grins, try holding down the Option key, like when you want to copy something from one window to another. I wonder if there's a plist file that controls this which needs to be rebuilt. ???
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

I don't do it often, but it hasn't failed me. I just grab the little icon next to the URL and the text comes with it. I assume you do that as well. But, just for grins, try holding down the Option key, like when you want to copy something from one window to another. I wonder if there's a plist file that controls this which needs to be rebuilt. ???

Thanks for the input, Gregg. I do grab the little icon next to the URL, and that works most of the time. But, at times, when I grab and drag the URL, I can tell right away that it won't 'stick' to where I plan to drop it. Instead of coming with the cursor, it will trail way behind the cursor. When it finally reaches the drop 'zone', and I release the mouse button, the URL snaps back to the address window. I tried your suggestion of using the Option key, and it DID work for a couple of reluctant URLs, but I still had the 'snap' backs on a couple of URLs. As for the plist, I'm not savvy enough to find the right one.

D__n, I should have kept a record of the reluctant URLs. I will in the future and post them. Maybe, the problem is with the URLs and not the computer.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    For any URL you drag out of the address bar, you should see the green "+" bubble for as long as the cursor is hovering over the Safari window. Do you see that for the "reluctant" URLs? Can you drag them to the document section of the Dock?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

For any URL you drag out of the address bar, you should see the green "+" bubble for as long as the cursor is hovering over the Safari window. Do you see that for the "reluctant" URLs? Can you drag them to the document section of the Dock?

Good point. I was unable to drag and drop this URL (green "+" bubble and all) to the desktop, even using the Option key:

http://www.scientificcomputing.com/n...um-082809.aspx

However, I was able to drag it to the document section of the Dock - nicely spring-loaded.

Then, when I tried dragging it to the desktop - Eureka- it worked. Still, it's a pain to go through that procedure. Fortunately, the problem is intermittent.

Any idea what the problem is - or how to overcome it?

Thanks guys.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I couldn't get a green bubble out of this URL either. Possibly because it's an .aspx page?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

As for the plist, I'm not savvy enough to find the right one.

Maybe...

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.desktop.plist

com.apple.Safari.plist

(If you're using Safari) I don't think it hurts to try. You can keep them and put them back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I was unable to drag and drop this URL (green "+" bubble and all) to the desktop, even using the Option key:

http://www.scientificcomputing.com/n...um-082809.aspx

I didn't get the green plus bubble, but it did create an icon on my Desktop.

Have you attempted this while logged in under more than one user account?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Have you attempted this while logged in under more than one user account?

No, but I'll try it.