Stop Time Machine?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since I just lost my hard drive on my iMac 24 Intel, I am using external hard drive to backup via Time Machine.

My question is what procedures are needed when you disconnect ext. hard drive? Do you change Time Machine from ON to OFF?

I know that I have to eject the ext. hard drive using proper commands, but what happens whenever I reinstall the ext. hard drive? Does Time Machine start over from the beginning or just update for changes since my last backup via Time Machine?

When I go on trips, I store ext hard drive in a safe and this is why I am asking. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switchfromdell View Post

Since I just lost my hard drive on my iMac 24 Intel, I am using external hard drive to backup via Time Machine.

My question is what procedures are needed when you disconnect ext. hard drive? Do you change Time Machine from ON to OFF?

I know that I have to eject the ext. hard drive using proper commands, but what happens whenever I reinstall the ext. hard drive? Does Time Machine start over from the beginning or just update for changes since my last backup via Time Machine?

When I go on trips, I store ext hard drive in a safe and this is why I am asking. Thanks!

Just eject the drive, thats it. If you switch Time Machine off and then on again it tries to do a full backup again which isn't needed. When you get back just plug it back in and (depending on how long you're gone) all should be well