Alleged first Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.1 details revealed

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Less than a week after Snow Leopard saw its official release, Apple has already supplied some developers with a beta of its first update, and supposed details are now beginning to come to light.

According to information provided to The Boy Genius Report, Mac OS X 10.6.1 includes a number of minor compatibility, security and stability fixes. No timetable for release is available, though it's safe to assume it would likely be weeks rather than days. According to the tip, the current fixes, in documentation allegedly provided by Apple, include:

Compatibility with some Sierra Wireless 3G modems

An issue that might cause DVD playback to stop unexpectedly

Some printer compatibility drivers not appearing properly in the add printer browser

An issue that might make it difficult to remove an item from the Dock

Instances where automatic account setup in Mail might not work

an issue where pressing cmd-opt-t in Mail brings up the special characters menu instead of moving a message

Motion 4 becoming unresponsive

The build also updates Flash to version 10.0.32.18. build 10B503 and is a 71.5MB download.

Earlier Thursday, sources informed AppleInsider that the beta for Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.1 was provided to developers on Monday, Sept. 1, just four days after the software became publicly available. Those who received the betas earlier this week are part of a smaller, more exclusive group that traditionally operates on an invitation-only basis. That is unlike the Apple Developer Connection, which is open to all developers that pay the appropriate fees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

>>>>> nstances <<<<<<

ueeeeee

3rd para

line 5 needs spellcheck help

eee yow dude;s AI is A world wide media online news reporting majpr domo gran poo bahs of rumour mills and millions get there apple news here . So i think you could do A better job at spelling. Melgross should return as top gun soon. Heads will roll

i find snowy wonderful lean mean and lots of fun .
  • Reply 2 of 49
    My iMac9,1 seems to be having difficulty connecting to my Apple bluetooth mouse (no, it's not the batteries ). Keyboard connects just fine, as I can 6-4 the wireless keyboard during boot-up to get into K64 mode.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Good to see how fast Apple are on the fixes. To have so few issues after rewriting virtually an entire OS is pretty amazing
  • Reply 4 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm having very few problems with 10.6 so this isn't to important right at the moment. However if they where to update the Video drivers for my early 2008 MBP I'd be very happy. In part I mean doing video decode on the GPU hardware.

I'm not sure if there are technical issues here or if Apple is just being silly but they need to support more than the 9400M. It is one thing on the older hardware but what is the excuse for the other shipping hardware?

It is unfortunate but it looks like the GPU drivers are taking much longer to complete than any body wants to here about. The OpenGL regressions kinda highlight this and are a public comment on the state of the video drivers. I have to wonder though about hardware acceleration of Video decode and the OpenCL drivers. Even though it appears that the hardware is giving us excellent results I have to think they could get much faster as glitches are worked out.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good to see how fast Apple are on the fixes. To have so few issues after rewriting virtually an entire OS is pretty amazing

These "fixes" would have probably started after their marketing department announced Gold master. They will add in the high priority items discovered after release and to make a quick patch. It is always a question of deciding how many known defects can be pushed to a point update after a release.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Redoooo the Pre-Vieew Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    I hope Apple address the security concerns raised by a number of professional bodies that thought 10.6 was a good upgrade, but could have been great if those concerns had been addressed.

I am trying to found the article again and will edit my post soon.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    My HP Laserjet 1020 no longer works.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Wow, what a great costly service pack.

Overheating laptops, the spinning wheel of death, shipping with old software, lots of vulnerabilities, built in virus protection?

I'd rather have an exploding iphone. OSX will always be slow and vulnerable.

How do you guys live with yourselves? Updated your 2008 computers with brand new ones yet? LOL
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Apple might want to consider updating the version of Flash installed while they're at it. I know most of the time they leave it to the 3rd parties, but they do include it on the installation DVD.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Wow, what a great costly service pack.

Overheating laptops, the spinning wheel of death, shipping with old software, lots of vulnerabilities, built in virus protection?

I'd rather have an exploding iphone. OSX will always be slow and vulnerable.

How do you guys live with yourselves? Updated your 2008 computers with brand new ones yet? LOL

Yeah, it's hard to live with ourselves. Really hard. All of us out there producing movies, running businesses, creating cutting edge design, teaching kids, composing songs, making presentations, doing scientific research. We're having a hell of a time.

30 million iPhones sold. Resounding disappointment.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

Yeah, it's hard to live with ourselves. Really hard. All of us out there producing movies, running businesses, creating cutting edge design, teaching kids, composing songs, making presentations, doing scientific research. We're having a hell of a time.

LOL, well said. The Trolls are out in force, sock it to them.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

Apple might want to consider updating the version of Flash installed while they're at it. I know most of the time they leave it to the 3rd parties, but they do include it on the installation DVD.

I have no idea but just maybe the Flash updates occurred after the production of the SL DVDs? It is not exactly Apple's job to worry about Flash anyway!
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

My HP Laserjet 1020 no longer works.

I believe Apple trimmed many of the printer drivers from the Snow Leopard default install to prevent wasted space by installing the entire print driver library when users generally use one or two printers at best. Not sure if this has anything to do with your problem but it may be a start.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Updated your 2008 computers with brand new ones yet? LOL

Nah, Apple's been too busy innovating the features for Microsoft"s OS, as well as, changing cell phone manufacturers idea of what a software OS based smartphone with app store should really be.

As MS catches up with the release of OS7 (the better Vista according to MS) and comes out with their first "touch" iPod wannabe ZuneHD (yawn, another day late, dollar short, snoozer) and as the smart phone manufacturers catch up with their "smartphone" iPhone wannabes (the latest being Palm's Pre where the former CEO of Palm, Ed Colligan, said of Apple possibly getting into the smart phone arena, ""We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' he said. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'' and then proceeded to hire away Apple talent to invent the PRE so Palm can go from making a "decent phone" to I guess a usable phone?

Don't worry, Apple will get back to some new computer making soon, where the copying can start all over anew.

But really, where would you guys be without Apple's imagination and more importantly, their R&D?! \
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

How do you turn a Rip on an obviously unstable OS release into a Response "30 million iPhones sold. Resounding disappointment.

They are two very separate issues and one has nothing to do with the other.

Apple has an OS and a Mobile OS both are not interchangeable nor can they be related to each other.

Quit Apologizing for an OS that was still in Beta on Golden Master.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Here's hoping for full OpenGL 3.0 support, expanded GPUs with official H.264 acceleration support, and expanded 64-bit kernel support for 9400M based MacBooks and Mac Minis. The latter should be fairly easy given the commonality between 9400M MacBooks and Mac Minis and supported 9400M iMacs. Official H.264 acceleration support for the nVidia 8000, 9000, GT100 and GTX285 series should also be fairly simple given existing 9400M support. And of course even ATI X1000 and nVidia 7000 series are capable of partial H.264 acceleration in hardware as is the case in Windows.

I wonder if 10.5.9 along with a final security update for Tiger will be released alongside 10.6.1? That was the case with 10.4.11 and the final security update for Panther shipping alongside 10.5.1.

EDIT: It'd be great to get 32-bit Java 1.5 on Snow Leopard too since there have been reported compatibility problems with Java 1.6 which is the only version available in Snow Leopard. Adding support should be fairly simple too, seeing that people have already found workarounds to install Leopard's Java 1.5 on Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Two major things stopped working for me with SL:

1) my Canon MX850 printer driver lost functionality and the software for OCR processing won't install

2) my Logitech Wireless Wave keyboard and mouse driver stopped working and there is no update from Logitech yet, so the extra functions are gone

Wish Apple had covered these bases with the manufacturers before they issued SL.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

How do you turn a Rip on an obviously unstable OS release into a Response "30 million iPhones sold. Resounding disappointment.

They are two very separate issues and one has nothing to do with the other.

He was in fact responding to the troll's claim that iPhones were spontaneous exploding.

Actually, however, iPhone OS and Mac OS X are intimately connected, both in the foundation and the upper API levels. For someone who is a Cocoa programmer, they immediately familiar with programming the iPhone. Larges swathes of Cocoa are identical, as is the Objective-C 2.0 language and the development tools.

The iPhone is essentially a tiny Mac with a glass screen on top.

Even things thought of as "Mac" technologies, such as CoreAnimation, were in fact developed for the iPhone and just happened to be announced for the Mac first, as Leopard was unveiled when iPhone was still shrouded in secrecy.

The only key difference, apart from the services each is running, is the user interface. When programming for the Mac, things such as large screens and mouse clicks are relevant; on the iPhone, it's touches.

However, Snow Leopard blurs even that: the 10.6 API introduces full support for pinches and swipes, which you guessed it, are programmed in an identical way to the iPhone UIKit. (At this stage, these event models are confined to being used on the trackpad, but in future, hmm...)
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pylon View Post

My iMac9,1 seems to be having difficulty connecting to my Apple bluetooth mouse (no, it's not the batteries ). Keyboard connects just fine, as I can 6-4 the wireless keyboard during boot-up to get into K64 mode.

One important detail... this wireless mouse connectivity issue only occurs when booting into K64 mode.