Best free recording software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What is the best free recording software that i could get?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    To record what?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,283member
    QuickTime X
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    QuickTime X



    He said 'free'...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,283member
    It's free in Leopard. The question is so open, one can't help but fill in some of the blanks.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Garageband?



    Or you could try



    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    QuickTime X



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post


    It's free in Leopard. The question is so open, one can't help but fill in some of the blanks.



    Huh?

    I run a fully up-to-date Leopard OSX.5.8, afaik, and my QuickTime is up to version 7.6.2. Just a player. No recording features. So that's not QuickTime X...



    Aren't you talking about Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Yes, he's talking about Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard replaced QuickTime 7 with QuickTime X. QuickTime X does movie recording, audio recording and screen recording. No Pro version required.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Thanks for clearing that up, aresee.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I want to record from my effects processor directly into my computer using my LightSnake Usb cable.



    iMovie isn't very good for mixing different sounds and different recording tracks.



    please advise
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turbo2g2003 View Post


    I want to record from my effects processor directly into my computer using my LightSnake Usb cable.



    iMovie isn't very good for mixing different sounds and different recording tracks.



    please advise



    GarageBand
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Though not free, an awesome audio app that I still use despite having Soundtrack Pro and Logic and the plug-in SoundSoap Pro is Amadeus Pro .



    http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/AmadeusPro.html



    It's $40 and worth every last penny. It is particularly good at cleaning up noisy audio. Even my good recording system (M-Audio ProFire 610 recording at 192 kHz from an AKG C3000B mic) has a lot of unwanted noise. Amadeus Pro does a far better job using the default settings on noise reduction than Logic or Soundtrack Pro or SoundSoap Pro even with a lot of fiddling. I record into STP (multitake is awesome) and once I think I have what I need I send it to AP to cut the noise, then bring it back to STP to do final editing and mixing.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Is Amadeus Pro SL compatible?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zutty View Post


    Is Amadeus Pro SL compatible?



    Why don't you go look for yourself on Amadeus Pro's website before asking a question like that?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    Why don't you go look for yourself on Amadeus Pro's website before asking a question like that?



    You have to go into the forums to find the answer.



    Yes, Amadeus Pro will run on SL with a tiny catch. There are some plugins that might (3 people had problems) cause AP to not start up, but it can be dealt with.



    http://www.hairersoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1021



    Personally I don't have AP installed on my SL machine yet... too busy testing my main apps for compatibility and work-arounds.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    Why don't you go look for yourself on Amadeus Pro's website before asking a question like that?



  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    Why don't you go look for yourself on Amadeus Pro's website before asking a question like that?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    You have to go into the forums to find the answer.



    Yes, Amadeus Pro will run on SL with a tiny catch. There are some plugins that might (3 people had problems) cause AP to not start up, but it can be dealt with.



    http://www.hairersoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1021



    Personally I don't have AP installed on my SL machine yet... too busy testing my main apps for compatibility and work-arounds.



    Thank you for your constructive reply....
  • Reply 17 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    GarageBand, clearly.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turbo2g2003 View Post


    I want to record from my effects processor directly into my computer using my LightSnake Usb cable.



    iMovie isn't very good for mixing different sounds and different recording tracks.



    please advise



    In the future, ask a more detailed question to begin with. Half the people lurking around here are audio engineers or production specialists of some kind or other. We will be glad to help. Just don't send us looking for needles in haystacks in the dark without knowing where the haystack is located. Did you get the answer you needed?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turbo2g2003 View Post


    What is the best free recording software that i could get?



    A lot of folks seem to like Reaper

    http://www.reaper.fm/download.php



    It has certainly garnered a lot of praise among users of PC based apps like Sonar.

    On the mac side I would rather use Logic myself. Heck its only $200 for logic express.
Sign In or Register to comment.