5400rpm or 7200rpm HD for new 15" MacBook Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'd appreciate your opinion on if I should upgrade the 320GB 5400rpm that comes standard in the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pro to the 320GB 7200rpm version, it's an extra $45. Just wondering about possible performance increase and if there are any heat, noise issues. I'm planning on purchasing it tonight, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmac View Post

I'd appreciate your opinion on if I should upgrade the 320GB 5400rpm that comes standard in the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pro to the 320GB 7200rpm version, it's an extra $45. Just wondering about possible performance increase and if there are any heat, noise issues. I'm planning on purchasing it tonight, thanks in advance.

The speed increase will be noticeable, but not groundbreaking, nothing like an SSD. Typically, only you can answer whether it's worth it to you. The only concrete advice I can really offer is to avoid the 500GB 7200RPM drives, they've been having issues lately. It's *supposedly* resolved, but it hasn't been long enough to really tell.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

The speed increase will be noticeable, but not groundbreaking, nothing like an SSD. Typically, only you can answer whether it's worth it to you. The only concrete advice I can really offer is to avoid the 500GB 7200RPM drives, they've been having issues lately. It's *supposedly* resolved, but it hasn't been long enough to really tell.

Thanks, I have ordered a 7200rpm 500gb seagate one, :-)

Thanks for your help
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teapea View Post

Thanks, I have ordered a 7200rpm 500gb seagate one, :-)

Thanks for your help

Congratulations on your purchase.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmac View Post

3.02 ghz 500g 7200 rpm MBP 15" is what i bought and it rocks .

and when you order it it is made fresh for you over seas to spec .

Which mean you get the latest everything that apple is doing atn this exact moment

and not a warehoused 3 month old mac .