itouch - more memory?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone think the itouch will come out with more memory this year perhaps? I really want one but 32 is just too small for storage... could there be a 64 soon in anyone's opinion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpallenh View Post

Does anyone think the itouch will come out with more memory this year perhaps? I really want one but 32 is just too small for storage... could there be a 64 soon in anyone's opinion?

Firstly, and I know I'm being "that guy", but it's iPod touch, not iTouch. Sorry, but I hear that way too much from customers and it drives me nuts.

Now, as for the actual question, I think 64GB might be a stretch. A flash module that large would either be ridiculously slow in order to maintain an appealing price, or would be ridiculously expensive in order to maintain acceptable speeds.

I'm thinking more along the likes of 48GB being the high end, if Apple goes beyond 32GB in the first place. Frankly, coming from an Apple Reseller salesman, I see the 8GB and 16GB models outselling the 32GB, each by at least 3:1. The high-capacity iPod touch doesn't sell quickly enough to warrant expanding it further. To be perfectly honest, I'd be more inclined to think they'd keep 32GB as the maximum and decrease it's price instead, to bolster sales.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpallenh View Post

I see two possibilities here.

First:

On the model that is expected to replace the current iTouch I suspect 64GB is a real possibility. Basically the thing here is that high density flash for USB and like storage is now reasonably priced with respect to 32GB models. Obviously the USB interfaced flash is different than the flash in iTouch but does indicate relative pricing for low performance flash.

Second:

The Classic may move to flash storage. In fact I can see iTouch getting minor updates while the Classic gets a major overhaul. In this vision Classic becomes iTouchs big brother. That is it becomes a larger Touch based device. This would serve the pro, Newton crowd and the gamers. The bigger housing allows for a real 1.8" SSD. I can see this device having different default configuration, both hardware and software. A big selling point would be the real SSD drive which provides for lots of storage and wear leveling for the drive.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I see two possibilities here.

First:

On the model that is expected to replace the current iTouch I suspect 64GB is a real possibility. Basically the thing here is that high density flash for USB and like storage is now reasonably priced with respect to 32GB models. Obviously the USB interfaced flash is different than the flash in iTouch but does indicate relative pricing for low performance flash.

Second:

The Classic may move to flash storage. In fact I can see iTouch getting minor updates while the Classic gets a major overhaul. In this vision Classic becomes iTouchs big brother. That is it becomes a larger Touch based device. This would serve the pro, Newton crowd and the gamers. The bigger housing allows for a real 1.8" SSD. I can see this device having different default configuration, both hardware and software. A big selling point would be the real SSD drive which provides for lots of storage and wear leveling for the drive.

Dave

*head explodes*
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

*head explodes*

Some how I knew you would come back to this thread and enjoy that! But really why do you get so upset over adopted names?

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Some how I knew you would come back to this thread and enjoy that! But really why do you get so upset over adopted names?

Dave

I share his aversion to these names. I used to think they were cool, until I started working at the Apple store in college. After the second person comes up to you thinking that they look cool using these names (they don't, at all), you want to beat them about the head with the heaviest box of software available (usually Final Cut Studio). It's the same reason I want to strangle someone when they call the Apple store the "Mac" store.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Don't call it "iTouch" people round here will stab you!

Not me though, ha!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The iTouch is now available in 64GB.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The iTouch is now available in 64GB.

*quivers with barely-controlled rage* :P
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

*quivers with barely-controlled rage* :P

Hah. iTouch sounds like a paedophile gadget..