The Time Machine trailer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It seems to be, sotto voce, implying that black people become the Eloi, and white people become the Morlocks. Just look at the trailer. All the Eloi are black! Jeremy Irons plays the Uber Morlock, and he's albino!

I dunno. Maybe it's really subtle or I'm readng to far into things, but I have a feeling this will ruffle some feathers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I think I'm the only one here who knows what you're talking about.

Indeed this is a strange turn of events... this is actually the first I've heard about this new version of Wells' Time Machine; so, I'll have to read up on the changes before I comment on the reversal of colors thing...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm still looking forward to it. Guy Pearce rocks. I hope he gets due recognition at the Oscars for Memento...a longshot.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    In the original movie all the Eloi were very fair-skinned and -haired, and the Morlocks were green (or so I recall). Also, as I recall the Eloi have completely lost all technology, while the Morlocks still have some industry (or is my memory playing tricks on me?). If it's not then the new version would show the white people maintaining technological superiority over the "civilized" black people.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by nonhuman:

<strong>In the original movie all the Eloi were very fair-skinned and -haired, and the Morlocks were green (or so I recall). Also, as I recall the Eloi have completely lost all technology, while the Morlocks still have some industry (or is my memory playing tricks on me?). If it's not then the new version would show the white people maintaining technological superiority over the "civilized" black people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bingo. Give this man a cigar!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, i didn't even know they were doing this movie until i accidentally saw it on the apple trailers page while browsing for other trailers. which trailer were you guys watching? i didn't see any black or white people -- only a bunch of wavy, floating words, about 2.5 seconds of the time machine itself, and then it ended.

yes, the morlocks still had some technology int he original movie (remember the ironic air raid sirens used to call the eloi into the caves to be captured? the statement was that people had been trained over thousands of years of fear from nuclear attack, to always seek a bunker when they heard that sound. and the morlocks used that to their advantage.

at least it looks like they're going to hold true to a turn-of-the-century scientist creating the time machine... hmmmm.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    too bad this movie is going to suck, 'cause wells can't direct himself the right way down a one way street.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gigawire:

<strong>too bad this movie is going to suck, 'cause wells can't direct himself the right way down a one way street.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Huh? H.G. Wells is not directing the movie.

:confused:

The trailer they are talking about is newer than the teaser you saw, rok. Go to Apple's trailers page at <a href="http://www.apple.com/trailers"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/trailers</a> and the new one should be listed.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Daver:

<strong>

Huh? H.G. Wells is not directing the movie.

:confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>

No, but his grandson is.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think it looks great...a unique adaptation that doesn't feel the need to interpret the original story word for word.

I also don't buy into the "morlocks have industry, and are therefore more advanced" theory. The Eloi utilize the Morlock industry.

I put intellect, behavior and so many things above industry...