Steve Jobs talks iPod nano with camera, iPod touch without

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So, Apple aren't adding a camera to the iPod touch because it's a gaming device at a time when their biggest and most innovative rival is adding a camera to their dedicated gaming device? Is it me or are these excuses getting weaker each time? I'd rather just hear the truth. (Oh, and I'm one for the seven people who bought an AppleTV. )

It's like I wrote previously.

Apple isn't giving you a camera in TODAYS iPod Touch because they want you to lust for the NEXT model (in 6 months or so) that WILL have it... however that model will NOT have GPS or digital compass or whatever the silly thing is called. and WHY won't GPS be available in the model where they finally gave you the camera you've been wanting?!?!

***RIGHT***

Cause they want you to lust for that NEXT model they release (in another 6 or so months time)...

Do you see a pattern starting to form?

Dave
  • Reply 82 of 92
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Lord Jobs is back and there is order in the heavens again.

As far as gaining weight is concerned, eat a few Pizzas and drink a few beers. That oughta do it.

Hail to the chief!

Yeah, our great american diet ought to fatten that man up quick.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    The Donger want to know how Jobs found time to do cameo on ATHF!

Must go now! The Donger need food!
  • Reply 84 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm with the critics on this one.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm with the critics on this one.

Yah. I wasn't even interested in a camera on the touch until the nano got one- and the touch didn't. All that does is guarantee that next year's touch update will get a camera, so why buy now?
  • Reply 86 of 92
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    If the reason for not putting the camera on the iPod touch was financial, why not include the camera on the more expensive 32GB and 64GB models?

They could still have the last gen model 8GB with its old processor platform taking up the bottom rung, and allow for the 32GB and 64GB models to have the newer processor and camera.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Tech-heads and fanboys on Apple fansites on the ass-end of the net comprise a tiny fraction of Apple's customer base.

Vocal minorities are an exception in being vocal, but their thoughts will likely be echoed by a significant proportion of the silent majority. If the typical Touch user is a teen playing games, then not equiping it with a camera is even stupider than if the majority of users were adults. Seen the latest Nintendo DS?

I think Apple want to keep the Touch one or two steps behind the iPhone.

Anyway, the absence of a camera is of far less significance than the absence of an Oled screen IMO.

My next portable media device purchase will have an Oled screen and a decent camera.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If the reason for not putting the camera on the iPod touch was financial, why not include the camera on the more expensive 32GB and 64GB models?

They could still have the last gen model 8GB with its old processor platform taking up the bottom rung, and allow for the 32GB and 64GB models to have the newer processor and camera.

I agree with you. I think the answer Jobs gave is only the partial truth (as one would expect). I think they did want to make the entry-level Touch $199, but I can?t believe that they had no intention of including the camera on the Touch this time around.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A year from now, chances are we'll all see this as a smart move.

I agree. Apple is a very conservative company and they have never been afraid of going the less obvious way.

Clearly, iPhone is their end - all be all. 3 years from now, there won´t be an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Your foolish reply simply implies that you would defend any product from Apple no matter how crappy it is. Later.

To be fair, these days it seems you attack any product from Apple no matter how good it is.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I think it's a mistake to start pitching iPod Touch as a gaming machine. It's certainly waaay more than that. Why intentionally limit the market scope of your product?

I hope it's really just spin to paper over the technical issues they had with putting a camera in the Touch.

I wholly agree, especially when gaming isn't even what the touch/iPhone do best... I still think it's a mistake to try to market this thing as a gaming device. I don't think anyone looking for a dedicated gaming device is going to go with an iPod. For that reason they should focus on what they do better than other mobile devices, music, movies, internet, and leave gaming as an "also does". Especially when others do it much better.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

To be fair, these days it seems you attack any product from Apple no matter how good it is.

Except the iPhone. Teck loves his iPhone, at least. And I think he likes the new Macbooks, too.