Ballmer teases iPhone-toting employee; iTunes LP comic book

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A Microsoft employee who snapped a photo of Steve Ballmer at a company meeting was given a ribbing by the company executive; and the first iTunes LP e-book is for sale in the form of a comic with multimedia extras.

Ballmer vs. a Microsoft employee's iPhone

At a private company meeting this week, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was reportedly giving one of his legendary energetic entrances when an employee mistakenly snapped a photo of him with an iPhone. According to Todd Bishop at TechFlash, the company leader made a lighthearted example of him.

"Ballmer grabbed the Apple device from the employee and made some funny remarks as everyone booed," he said. "Then he put it on the ground and pretended to stomp on it, before walking away."

Ballmer reportedly teased the employee again later during his presentation. Bishop noted that one Microsoft employee remarked on Twitter: "You just don't pick up the CEO of Chevy in a BMW."

While those in attendance said the moment was all in good fun, Ballmer has made his share of inflammatory remarks about the iPhone in the past. However, since the iPhone has proven successful for Apple, Ballmer has softened his remarks.

iTunes LP digital comic

Tyrese Gibson's "Mayhem" is the first digital book for sale as an iTunes LP. The $1.99 album features a comic book co-created by Tyrese, as well as an exclusive track from the artist.

In addition, it includes a 45-minute "making of" video, two additional exclusive comics, black-and-white storyboards, alternate covers, concept art, desktop wallpapers and more. After he saw the product at Apple's event this week, Fortune's Jon Fortt asked whether the product is Apple's e-book "trojan horse."

"And it?s not just text and images; both audio and video come along with the package," Fortt said. "The interface is designed so that it would obviously work nearly as well on a touch-sensitive tablet ? or even on an iPhone ? as it does on a full-fledged PC."

Unveiled this week, iTunes LP was originally believed to be a product intended to spur sales of whole albums, rather than singles. While that intent may be true, the "Mayhem" comic suggests that iTunes LP could come to represent much more than music, but a unique combination of multimedia offerings combined in one package.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Hahah! Those clever Microserfs...
  • Reply 2 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"And it?s not just text and images; both audio and video come along with the package," Fortt said. "The interface is designed so that it would obviously work nearly as well on a touch-sensitive tablet ? or even on an iPhone ? as it does on a full-fledged PC."

Unveiled this week, iTunes LP was originally believed to be a product intended to spur sales of whole albums, rather than singles. While that intent may be true, the "Mayhem" comic suggests that iTunes LP could come to represent much more than music, but a unique combination of multimedia offerings combined in one package.

That simply could explain why Apple dissed the joint music label version of this concept. Their vision was too small. And Apple might have its grander plans leaked before its time.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    Ballmer can be an idiot sometimes with his antics, but the employee stupid enough to show up at a MS corporate function with a competitors product gets no sympathy from me.

He's lucky if he's able to keep his job. Especially now when times are difficult and talented people are without jobs.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Ballmer can be an idiot sometimes with his antics, but the employee stupid enough to show up at a MS corporate function with a competitors product gets no sympathy from me.

He's lucky if he's able to keep his job. Especially now when times are difficult and talented people are without jobs.

Jeez! The fault is entirely Ballmer's - and he is thus generating a lot of unintented focus towards Apples product.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    Well at least he has a sense of humor. That goes a long way with employee respect.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You just don't pick up the CEO of Chevy in a BMW."

At least the MS employee who made the analogy got it right.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    Quote:

I didn't realize Microsoft made a phone... oh wait, they don't. Would he have had the same reaction if it were a Blackberry?
  • Reply 8 of 98
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I wonder if Ballmer staged it for laughs.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    Quote:

the full article said that most MS employees have iPhones and not WinMo phones which is fully understandable
  • Reply 10 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well at least he has a sense of humor. That goes a long way with employee respect.

... only if that guy keeps his job of course. let's wait and see...
  • Reply 11 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I didn't realize Microsoft made a phone... oh wait, they don't. Would he have had the same reaction if it were a Blackberry?

i wonder if he'd thrown a chair if it had been an android phone
  • Reply 12 of 98
    Another child like outburst. This is what we have come to expect from this guy. He certainly produced some good publicity for the iPhone out of MS's headquarters.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    I think that SJ should personally call this kid and offer him a job!
  • Reply 14 of 98
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Why is it bad? Microsoft doesn't need money, it needs new ideas. They should use as many competitor products as they possibly can.

The same goes for General Motors. We can only hope they drive Hondas and Audis to keep up their knowledge of the industry. Criticizing your employee for being aware of what is going on in the industry is crazy.

If I were Microsoft I would be buying a lot of Macs and iPhones. What's more, I am quite sure that they do do that.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    Microsoft has some good ideas. Their only drawback is the backwards compatibility they tend to maintain. Most of the defects and vulnerabilities will go away if they drop legacy junk. Surface is a nice recent technology I can think of.
  • Reply 16 of 98
  • Reply 17 of 98
    we have Steve Ballmer to thank for Apple's renaissance almost as much as Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 18 of 98
  • Reply 19 of 98
    May Ballmer continue at MS' helm for many years. He's been wonderful for Apple. You'd almost think he's secretly working for them.

Apple envy abounds, folks. Even at MS.
  • Reply 20 of 98
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that SJ should personally call this kid and offer him a job!

Touched a raw nerve did he - may the force be with him!