Quick Q regarding no service -- need help from the pros

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello all

I'm new to forums (just got my first iPhone yesterday). So, I jailbroke my Touch no problem this summer. After getting my iPhone, it took me about an hour to get the same done (I realized I had the wrong firmware, which was keeping me in the "waiting to reboot" mode awhile). But, I was successful, and the phone is jailbroken -- cydia, sbsettings, the whole 9. The kicker is: I get no service with my SIM (I'm an ATT user). I had read before putting my SIM in that some people were having issues staying off 3G and EDGE despite bossprefs and sbsettings (thereby racking up huge bills -- I don't want data, just wifi and texting) so I decided to visit my buddy at ATT (a manager) and have him totally disable EDGE and 3G for my whole family plan. Right when I left the store (before I put in my SIM in the iPhone and was using a crappy Pantech) I noticed there was no more "E" on my phone. I'm wondering, why am I not getting service? Do I need to unlock the phone now? Does the fact that I had him do this prevent me from using the iPhone because it needs some communication with EDGE or 3G? Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot for reading -- just want to join the club. Here are my specs (below)

iPhone 3G 8GB

FW: 3.0 (7A341)

Jailbroke with redsnow 7.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Ever asked yourself why they put disclaimer like "do it only if you know exactly what you're doing"?

"E", "3G", WiFi icon are all indicators of active data network. You'd asked to disable any data services just minutes ago. Normally, you should still be able to put in GSM-only SIM and to have GSM phone. But who can say what happened to your iPhone after jailbreaking?