System Extension Issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've searched all through this site and haven't seen anyone else having this show up, so it must be a rare thing. I have a MacPro2,1 that I updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Now, every time I do any updates I get a popup that says this:

"The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/CNQL1213_ClassicNotSeize.kext" was installed improperly and can not be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

What do I have to do to fix this? What do I have to reinstall to get this to go away? Who is the product's vendor?

Hopefully someone out there knows what this means and can help me get rid of it. If it has to do with Classic, why would I need this at all?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Regards,

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Do/did you have a scanner? A quick Google suggests it's related to Canon scanners.

Since it's not working, just delete it and the message will go away. Navigate to system/library/extensions in the Finder, locate CNQL1213_ClassicNotSeize.kext, drag it to the trash (you'll probably be asked for your password when you do this) and delete. Alternatively, if you're not comfortable deleting it, just move the file elsewhere (e.g. you could make a "disabled extensions" folder in ~/library/, where ~ represents your home folder, and put it in there).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Do/did you have a scanner? A quick Google suggests it's related to Canon scanners.

Since it's not working, just delete it and the message will go away. Navigate to system/library/extensions in the Finder, locate CNQL1213_ClassicNotSeize.kext, drag it to the trash (you'll probably be asked for your password when you do this) and delete. Alternatively, if you're not comfortable deleting it, just move the file elsewhere (e.g. you could make a "disabled extensions" folder in ~/library/, where ~ represents your home folder, and put it in there).

Thank you for your help. Here is some more information. I did have a Canon scanner, but no longer have it, or anything Canon related anymore. I went to the Extensions folder and it was empty. I checked it with Houdini to see if there were hidden files in it that matched the error message, and the folder itself was empty. I deleted the folder and replaced it with a new folder named "Extensions". I've gone through preferences and gotten rid of everything to do with Canon and can only hope that by purging the system of Canon stuff that I'll get rid of that error message.

Unfortunately, it only pops up when we have a software update, so I'll have to wait a while to see if it pops back up. What would you suggest I do next, should the error message occur again, even though I've gotten rid of everything Canon related that I can find? Thanks so much Mr. H.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I went to the Extensions folder and it was empty. I checked it with Houdini to see if there were hidden files in it that matched the error message, and the folder itself was empty. I deleted the folder and replaced it with a new folder named "Extensions".

Eek! I guarantee you either went to the wrong folder or did something very bad. System/Library/Extensions/ houses all kernel extensions, including vital ones that make OS X work fully (unless of course Snow Leopard changed that; I'll check when I'm at home).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Eek! I guarantee you either went to the wrong folder or did something very bad. System/Library/Extensions/ houses all kernel extensions, including vital ones that make OS X work fully (unless of course Snow Leopard changed that; I'll check when I'm at home).

Everything still seems to be working fine. I see no problems. I doubt I went to the wrong folder. It's /Library/Extensions. Pretty easy to find. Of course, Apple could have saved me all this stress (and others undoubtedly) by not having this .kext file be an issue in the first place. I'll also reiterate here that there was nothing in the folder, even when I used Houdini to scope out any hidden files. It was empty, so Apple probably moved all the critical files elsewhere (for which I'm grateful).

I really do appreciate your help, and thanks to you, this thread is now the #1 link when Googling it. Anyone else having issues with this will easily find your advice now. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

It's /Library/Extensions.

No, it's /System/Library/Extensions/. /Library/Extensions/ doesn't usually exist.

Quote:

Apple could have saved me all this stress (and others undoubtedly) by not having this .kext file be an issue in the first place.

It's beyond Apple's control. It's a kernel extension written by a third party so their hardware can be used with OS X.

Quote:

I really do appreciate your help, and thanks to you, this thread is now the #1 link when Googling it. Anyone else having issues with this will easily find your advice now. Thanks.

Thanks for the appreciation. It is irksome when you put in effort to help people and you get no thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks to you I have apparentely solved this problem. I was getting the same message. I had a Canon scanner too, no more in use. It seems that this file was dated back to 2005...