Users report iPod classic issues after iTunes 9 update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Numerous iPod classic users have reported problems with the latest update to iTunes, released last week, with claims of crashes when attempting to sync the media player.

In addition to threads on the Apple Support forums (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) some have contacted AppleInsider to voice their concern over allegedly dysfunctional iPod classics, ranging from 80GB to 160GB in size. Some say they have seen their media player fail to sync with the latest iTunes update, and efforts to fix the problem have only made the situation worse. Both Windows and Mac users have reported the issues.

One person said their 160GB iPod classic failed once iTunes 9 was installed on Snow Leopard. The iPod reportedly ejects itself automatically. Putting the iPod into disk mode did not address the problem.

Others on various operating systems say that iTunes 9 does not recognize their iPod classic, preventing them from syncing, restoring, or essentially doing anything with the media player via a computer.

At least one user said the issue was resolved by resetting the iPod and reconnecting it to the computer via USB. However, other users claim they attempted to restore factory settings on the device, only for it to still not sync, leaving them with an iPod void of media.

iTunes 9 was released last week bringing app management, iTunes LP album downloads, and a redesigned iTunes Store. It also disabled sync capabilities with the Palm Pre.

Apple also released a new, higher capacity iPod classic this week, now offering 160GB of storage for $249. The new 160GB model has the same "thin" profile as the previous 120GB offering.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Wow! Apple just can't seem to bat one outa' the park. Instead of working so hard to 'combat' Microsoft, maybe they should try just concentrate on delivering a good end product, they've gotten so caught up in bashing Microsoft and trying to beat them to the punch over and over... They are burying themselves under the weight of they're own gloat.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    Maybe it was an attempt to block the Palm Pre that did them in with this current issue.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Maybe it was an attempt to block the Palm Pre that did them in with this current issue.

I have the same feeling since the Pre was posing as a classic iPod to iTunes after all..

Adi
  • Reply 4 of 58
    It's not just the Classic, but the Touch as well. Plugging in to sync causes iTunes to go unresponsive and needing forced quit...and other times it's ok.

Mac...it just works...sometimes.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

Wow! Apple just can't seem to bat one outa' the park. Instead of working so hard to 'combat' Microsoft, maybe they should try just concentrate on delivering a good end product, they've gotten so caught up in bashing Microsoft and trying to beat them to the punch over and over... They are burying themselves under the weight of they're own gloat.

Yep! Though, there are those that will argue that this is the first release of iTunes 9. While that may be true, at least Apple knows exactly what hardware they are working with and should have tested it with a decent range of hardware versions of the Classic.

But I wish Apple in their ads would stop railing against the "PC". I want to know what the Apple can do on its own. If you can prove to me that the Macintosh is a viable computer WITHOUT putting down someone else, I'm more inclined to buy it. Same thing can equally be said of MS. I don't like their commercials any better railing against the price of Macs.

Anyway, expect a fix soon and these issues will pass soon.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    Maybe "PC" can mention the crashing iPods in the next "I'm a Mac" commercial
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Yep! Though, there are those that will argue that this is the first release of iTunes 9. While that may be true, at least Apple knows exactly what hardware they are working with and should have tested it with a decent range of hardware versions of the Classic.

But I wish Apple in their ads would stop railing against the "PC". I want to know what the Apple can do on its own. If you can prove to me that the Macintosh is a viable computer WITHOUT putting down someone else, I'm more inclined to buy it. Same thing can equally be said of MS. I don't like their commercials any better railing against the price of Macs.

Anyway, expect a fix soon and these issues will pass soon.

I'm not on Snow Leopard yet; still on 10.5.8 and my 160G new Classic syncs fine with iTunes 9 and have not noticed any immediate problems. The only occurrence of anything wrong was during listening on my way to work, I was toggling the middle button of the click wheel very fast during a song and my iPod froze. Was fine again after reset. Just FYI.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Quote:

really? you think apple's advertising agency has any clue what apple's engineers are doing?

you're kidding, right?
  • Reply 9 of 58
    I had a slight issue with my iPod classic in iTunes 9 too! I was updating the playlist on it with new music and it would get through halfway of copying the songs, then iTunes would crash. So I erased ALL of the songs, and copied the playlist over and it was fine.

I haven't messed with it again after that. I haven't noticed any problems with my new iPod touch though.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I'm not on Snow Leopard yet; still on 10.5.8 and my 160G new Classic syncs fine with iTunes 9 and have not noticed any immediate problems. The only occurrence of anything wrong was during listening on my way to work, I was toggling the middle button of the click wheel very fast during a song and my iPod froze. Was fine again after reset. Just FYI.

My iPod Touch syncs fine with iTunes 9 and WinXP. I'm sure there are many of those classics who have success that go unreported. For you, I'm glad its working correctly!
  • Reply 11 of 58
    I've been able to get my 160 Classic to sync just fine, so it's not universal. Hope Apple figures this out soon, though, as it must be frustrating to those who fall prey to it.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

My iPod Touch syncs fine with iTunes 9 and WinXP. I'm sure there are many of those classics who have success that go unreported. For you, I'm glad its working correctly!

I'm one of those! I have an old 160 G classic ipod and it's working fine with itunes 9. I've 10.5.8 though.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    My 120GB Classic also syncs just fine under 10.6.1 and iTunes 9.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    This seems like the weakest and most error prone of all the iTunes updates. It seems that Apple got caught rushing out a product and software refresh before they were ready; i.e., iTunes interface missteps; iTunes LP download problems; syncing problems; the iPod Touch not getting a camera, and the iPod nano getting a camera but only video.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

You sound delusional.

What are you talking about when you say they are concentrating on "bashing Microsoft" or "beating them to the punch?"

MIcrosoft and Apple hardly compete in software except for OS's, and Apple has handily beaten Microsoft to the punch on that front for almost the entire existence of the two companies.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    I guess I need to check my old 5.5th generation iPod. I need to clean the dust off of it. It's actually used as my backup drive for all my iTunes media, pictures and other related content. Always smart to have your information in more than one place.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

This seems like the weakest and most error prone of all the iTunes updates. It seems that Apple got caught rushing out a product and software refresh before they were ready; i.e., iTunes interface missteps; iTunes LP download problems; syncing problems; the iPod Touch not getting a camera, and the iPod nano getting a camera but only video.

"iTunes interface missteps" - you are too kind, sir. The new iTunes is totally annoying. Create a new playlist - you get a window that offers you a tutorial on dragging songs to your new playlist. What??? 100 million iTunes users (as Jobs proudly said), and nobody knows how to drag a song to a new playlist? No matter how many new playlists you open, that window comes up, replacing the list of songs that you were looking at.

And the cookies issue - for Mac users, you MUST have Safari 4.0.3, and you MUST allow it to accept cookies, or you can't buy anything from the iTunes Store. iTunes 9 sets cookies into your Safari browser (I don't know what it does for Windows users). If you routinely erase cookies and disable them (or if you use a different browser and keep Safari closed with cookies disabled), you won't be able to view your account page or buy anything without going to Safari and changing your setting to accept cookies*. If Safari is set to accept cookies, iTunes will set cookies there even if Safari is closed!

*You can log into the store's first level and access your wishlist, but you can't buy anything or view your account details.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:

Dear sir, you have been summoned back to Redmond. Thank you for visiting.

Jimzip
  • Reply 19 of 58
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Any word if these iPod classics are jailbroken?
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Axolotl View Post

I have an old 160 G classic ipod and it's working fine with itunes 9. I've 10.5.8 though.

Same here. I've got the same combination with my G5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Any word if these iPod classics are jailbroken?

None of them are I expect. Not really any point jail-breaking an iPod Classic (if such a tool actually existed) as there's no software to run on it. With a full firmware flash like Rockbox or iPod Linux it isn't going to work with iTunes anyway.