Windows Virtualization for Remote Desktop

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I started a new job where I can remote desktop to my work PC. While Macs are supported, I've had problems with sticky keys, being unable to alt-tab within the remote desktop, and had some latency issues. I think the latency was due to DSL problems, which I've mostly resolved.

The reasons I want to remote desktop with close to 100% reliability is that I occasionally need to do prod support. Also, seeing as I live in the suburbs and have an hour commute each way (and the commute train has had reliability issues from time to time), I want to work from home as much as possible.

However, I'm just about to give up and go for a WIndows solution to remote desktop. Aside from remote desktop, I'll really have no use for WIndows.

One thing that's required by our remote desktop software is a properly patched version of Windows. So, for example, a fresh XP SP2 installation won't be accepted. I simply won't be allowed to log in. So, I need a fully patched system in order to keep remoting with it.

I'm considering various options, among them running Windows within a VM, running it on Boot Camp and running Boot Camp from a VM, 32-bit vs. 64-bit kernel mode, the size of my partition in disk space, and VirtualBox vs. VMWare Fusion. What sucks about Windows is that once I have a license key, I pretty much have to decide where to install it or have to re-register it with Microsoft. This means I have to decide on a strategy and stick with it, as opposed to experimenting with different configuration options and changing my mind later.

What do you think? Does anybody have any suggestions or are in a similar situation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Try TeamViewer.

Cross-platform remote desktop control and sharing.

It's FREE too.

But you'll need someone on the other side to start the session up on your office machine: start up TeamViewer and let you know the randomly generated ID and password (by phone, email, chat, or texting).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Try TeamViewer.

Cross-platform remote desktop control and sharing.

It's FREE too.

But you'll need someone on the other side to start the session up on your office machine: start up TeamViewer and let you know the randomly generated ID and password (by phone, email, chat, or texting).

I'm limited to the tools my employer provides. They're really stingy about security, and no other remote desktop product will work except those they sanction.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

They're really stingy about security

No they aren't. They run Windows (apps), don't they!

And if they are forcing you to run Windows (apps) too, they are compromising your security too. BUT: if my employer wants me to work from home I expect him to provide me with with the appropriate hard- and software for it. That's the least he can do. He should be thankful I'm not charging him for office space rent, gas, power, and coffee.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

No they aren't. They run Windows (apps), don't they!

And if they are forcing you to run Windows (apps) too, they are compromising your security too. BUT: if my employer wants me to work from home I expect him to provide me with with the appropriate hard- and software for it. That's the least he can do. He should be thankful I'm not charging him for office space rent, gas, power, and coffee.

So, by your definition, any company that uses Windows is insecure. Well, aside from Mac shops and some startups running Linux on their desktops, Sun Microsystems, I'd say 100% of companies run Windows in some shape or form. My employer runs most of their major server-side infrastructure on LInux.

Besides, Windows can be made secure by doing simple things like running it with a non-administrator account, running it inside of a VPN, firewalls, and turning off network services that are turned on by default.

They've removed administrator rights from all workstations, and have moved towards doing so for all developers as well. They patch frequently, and have delayed installations of software updates before having them vetted internally. Their software installation policy requires all software to be thoroughly vetted before being used in-house.

Information security is key for my company, so you can understand they'd want to restrict the tools they allow. Should somebody break security and VPN into their network, it wouldn't be pretty.

Besides, there's the off chance that my problem is simply due to configuration issues.

So stop making these ignorant far-reaching statements about companies you don't understand. I came here asking for advice on an optimal Windows setup for VPN should I need to, not to be told that my employer is stupid. And, yeah, I'm sure you'll get hired in lots of places with your "I should be charging my employer for coffee" attitude.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    You didn't say what setup you're using at the moment. Are you using this? If so, it works fine for me, including alt-tab.

BTW, I feel so sorry for you that your IT department is taking away admin access. That would really piss me off. I'm a postgrad/RA at university and am very happy that I have admin access to my machines. In the six years I've been there we've had one virus problem and it only managed to infect a handful of machines before being contained.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Don't get your knickers in a twist, Java. You're on a board dedicated to OSX here. So don't act indignantly if you get OSX favorable comments and suggestions here. And don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of useful Windows advice on an OSX board either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I'm limited to the tools my employer provides.

So what are those tools your employer provides?

Quote:

no other remote desktop product will work except those they sanction.

Which remote desktop products do they sanction? Do those run under anything but Windows? If not your choice is clear, imo.

If your employer wants you to run Windows, he should provide you with Windows hard- and software to do it. If it packs up it is his gear that packs up. And it's up to him to fix it. But if you're working from home, for him, and you're running Windows on your MBP – running those "remote desktop products they sanction" – and it packs up, then it's your problem to fix it! Not because it's a Mac, but because it's your machine!

On your MBP you can run Windows in BootCamp, or in a virtual machine (VirtualBox is FREE).

Question is: is it wise to do so because your employer wants you to?

I say you may regret it if you do!

However, if your employer purchases your MBP and gives it to you to use for work from home, then you can run Windows, Windows apps, and those "remote desktop products they sanction" on that MBP all you (he) want(s) of course. But then it would be iffy again whether you could still use it for your, personal computing needs...

OTOH, you just got cash for that MBP, while you still work with it every day. Cash that you can invest in a new machine! Your own.